Episode 119: Clash of the Foxes

*Iah*

Orichalcum avoided looking at me in the eye when she returned. "I disappointed Lord Iah didn't I? I tried to sound all courageous, yet I didn't have the strength to back my words up."

"You improved a lot since you first left Mina," I said, grinning. "You can always try again next year."

Orichalcum nodded as her face turned red.

"Ahh, so the play boy finally shows some skill," Arima said, chuckling.

I narrowed my eyes. "You really want to anger me, don't you? Well save it for the battlefield. Right now let's enjoy the junior match."

*Lei*

Lucette descended from the air riding a fire dragon. The fire dragon nearly hit Boukyaku but he avoided it with ease.

Boukyaku covered his hands in blue flames and stopped the dragon.

"Hi no Ryuu!" Boukyaku chanted. The blue flames transformed into a dragon and absorbed the red fire dragon.

Lucette ran at him. "Subete wo Musaboruhikari." A sphere of golden radiant light destroyed the ground under and around her feet. She then sped toward Boukyaku like a bullet.

Boukyaku got on all fours and transformed into a fox. His tails stopped the advance of Lucette's sphere of destruction.

"That girl..." Kun said as he watched Lucette free herself from the grasp of the tails.

"Is there something wrong with her?" I asked.

Brother shook his head. "No, she's fine. I was just thinking about the way she uses her light powers. It's different than how most use them."

"That's true," Nyima said, crossing her legs. "Lucette's light magic isn't like Hikaru's or even mine."

"Well she's a Kyuu Seishinian, each country has its different fighting styles," An said.

"No, even for us it's odd," Miwa said, crossing her fingers together. "Especially that sphere of light. I've never seen such a spell before."

"Do you know who her parents are?" Nahimana asked.

"Why the sudden interest in her?" Haroun asked, narrowing his eyes.

She shrugged. "Maybe her family is known for unusual spells?"

Haroun's glance return to Lucette who was now dodging blue flames while avoiding the fire dragon.

"Lucette is an orphan," Vita said.

Her teammate shot her a dirty look. "Don't share that with them. That's not something you can easily divulge."

"That's true," Adela said, looking down.

I put my hand on her shoulders. Hearing that must've re-openned her old would. It also didn't help that Nyima and I have at least one parent accompanying us right now.

"That fighting style, it's that of the shrine guardians," Nyima's mother stated.

"You mean those foxes back in the castle?" An said.

Hal shook his head. "Those are the castle guardi..."

"He's right, those two are the shrine guardians she speaks of," Eien said. "Within our castle lies the holiest shrine to our native religion."

"Interesting," Adela said, glancing up. "This is the first I hear your people bring up your religion. I heard that your people aren't open about it."

Eien nodded. "Our country is for the most part secular. We only observe the gods in the days of festivals, such as this one." He glanced up at the top of the barrier.