Episode 103: Despair

"When all hope is lost, a light shall guide the way"

*Lei*

"Brother," Yen said once we returned. She was tending to a wounded Hikaru. "I'm glad to see that you're safe."

I looked around. There was no sign of the sophomores or Ms. Key. "Where did the others go?"

"They continued the chase after Hikaru, Zelde, Wanikiya, and Hal were thrown off course by Setsu."

So that's why Hal had those burns on his clothing.

"Those bastards," Wanikiya muttered to himself. He stood by a resting Zelde.

I ran over to Zelde's side. "Is she alright?" I asked.

"She was greatly injured trying to protect Hal against that Setsu girl," Wanikiya responded, avoiding making eye contact with me. Ice covered the ground under his feet. "I'll get them for this." His finger nails dug deeper into his skin.

I nodded. "Of course we will. They'll regret messing with us."

"Calm down," Sarah said, pacing around in circles. "Keeping a cool head is more beneficial than rushing at them with murderous intent." She said that despite having her hands tightly clenched together.

Wanikiya punched the ground, cracking it into tiny shards of frozen rock. "They will pay. They must!"

Sarah placed a hand on his shoulders. "Hey, listen." Ice encased her hand. She backed away.

"Calm down!" An snapped, grabbing Sarah's frozen hand. "Look what you're doing."

Wanikiya stared at the ice now covering most of us. "Guys...I'm sorry." He touched his forehead. "I...I need some rest." He staggered forward.

Nyima grabbed his arm before he fell. "Lay down. You aren't in any condition to walk. Your left leg, let me see it."

Wanikiya sat down on the half frozen ground and lifted his left pant leg. His left ankle was encased with ice. Underneath the ice was crimson blood.

Adela glanced over to review the wound. Her eyes became furious. "You thought of walking back home like this? You can lose your leg if you don't tend to it."

Wanikiya stared at my teammates blankly. "I couldn't protect anyone, so why do I matter?"

Sarah walked back over to him and slapped him. "Snap out of it, you dolt. Are you suicidal? You won't be able to protect even yourself with that attitude!"

Nyima nodded her head and smiled at her fellow water mage. "Nice job Sarah."

"Go easy on him," Hikaru said, sitting up straight. One of his eyes barely opened.

"Brother," Yuzuki said, caressing his face. She hugged him tightly. "Oh, brother! I'm so sorry! I should've done more to protect you."

Hikaru ran his fingers through his sister's red hair. "It's... not your fault... Besides the rest of the second years are looking for them right now with the help of Haroun and Vita."

"I understand him, Wanikiya's rage," Alto said, lightning crackling in his fists. "Those eight have gone too far, trying to kill us with poison and bombs."

As did I...

Hikaru nodded and gripped the ground. "It's frustrating... None of us except for An could do much against any of them."

I glanced over at An who rested against the fridge. His eyes were barely open, as if he was out of energy. "So he saved us again?" I asked.

"Yeah," Xue said, nodding. "He was the one who contained Setsu's explosion."