[Revised/Edited] Episode 9: Conspiracy

-"The clouds gather and the sky shakes as the forces of nature clash"

[Three days prior to the Test]

*Arima*

"Why did the narrowest part of the mountain range between Sera and Uan have to take us on a detour to Xian? How much longer until we get out of this mountain range?" Ulissis grumbled, wiping the cold sweat from his brow. He had unzipped his sweater earlier to keep himself cool.

As we descended the western slope of the mountain, the air started to become warmer. More species of plants— other than the golden sun daffodils we had seen on our way— filled the terrain. On the way down, Hal and I had collected several of the yellow flowers. According to a book I'd read back in middle school, the flowers were good for cultivating one's Magicum Organum and opening up one's meridians.

"Only a little further," Sarah said nonchalantly. "Also, this detour is better than braving the mountains on my country's border with Uan. At this time of the year, the snowpack there is at its highest."

Ulissis narrowed his eyes. He side-glanced Vermeil as well. Uli was probably wondering how they weren't breaking a sweat despite their noble status.

"Think we should take a break. Uli looks like he could use a drink," I said.

"Already? Didn't we have a break earlier?" Aban said.

"That was two hours ago," Uli said, panting.

Alto snickered despite being tired too. "To think that you would be beaten down by this."

He sighed. "You know that I'm no good at long-distance travel. You probably have it easier as you run around all the time."

I laughed. "You're going to make the others think that Alto is some hyper guy."

"He's not?" Vermeil asked, giggling.

"No, I just do a lot of chores and odd jobs for the elderly in our apartment complex," Alto said, beaming.

"Aww. I bet the old ladies love you!"

I snorted. "You're right about that. They often try to pair him up with their granddaughters."

Alto blushed. "Yeah..."

Although, I didn't blame them. Alto was hardworking, kind, and good-looking. If he wasn't my childhood friend, I might've even asked him out.

Ulissis grumbled as he took another step.

Hal patted him on the back and chuckled. "Hang on. We're almost over the mountain range." He pointed at the great expanse of forest below the rocky path we were on. There were small patches in the density of the forest. "It should only take a few more minutes before we make it past Xian, and into Uan's territory."

"Xian," Vermeil said. She narrowed on one of the patches within the forest. "The people who are said to be one with nature, correct?"

Hal played around with his tablet. "Yeah, sadly there's no one to pick up here. The priestess apparently has gone on ahead of us to Mina. That's where we'll board the ship to go to Wahkan."

"Priestess?" I asked, surprised. "She's our age?"

Hal nodded. "Yeah, her name is Xian Mu Adela according to my information."

I glanced at Vermeil and Sarah. "Are there any other nobles who'll be taking the exam?"

Hal nodded. "The princes of Mina and Wahkan are rumored to be taking it. The rest appear to be a bunch of nobodies like us."