[Revised/Edited] Episode 25: Giving it your all!

-"Seeking power for power's sake will only lead to a spiral"

*Lei*

Arrows of light and knives of lightning emerged from the ruined barrier, nearly cutting Iah's face.

"That. Was close," Iah said, sighing. "Lei, warn us next time about spells being flung back."

"Hey! He can barely breathe!" Adela snapped as she helped me stabilize my breathing with her plant magic. It only had a mild effect on me. At the end of the day, it was akin to a pain killer, not a cure.

"Pretty boy doesn't want to get his face scarred?" Ayawamat called out. We turned around. The guy rode on top a giant blue-striped spider. The arachnid's four-foot legs glided through the water like a speedboat.

"Nyima, Adela. Take care of the gadfly!" Iah yelled.

"I'm busy with Lei!" Adela said.

"This guy just won't give up," Nyima said, shaking her head. She took a step forward and glanced at the cloudless sky. "Light, pour down from the heavens. Light pillars! Water that shrouds. Water veil!"

Seven pillars of light descended from the heavens, crushing the spider. Ayawamat leaped from the dying spider and had it vanish. "Thanks for the help, Mini. Rest now." His eyes shifted toward his struggling wasp. "You too, Makhá."

"So the guy at least cares for his insects and bugs," Nyima said as the water around Ayawamat danced erratically.

"Don't be fooled," I whispered, my voice oozing with bitterness. "He just sees them as precious pawns. He can't afford to lose them... having cultivated their strength for years now. The guy is all about strength."

"Really? I don't think that was it," she said.

I looked away. "Ask Nahimana, and my other friends if you don't believe me."

"And what's wrong with seeking strength? Isn't that why you're here? To become stronger and gain the power to achieve that stupid dream of yours?" Ayawamat yelled as he struggled to move away from the water. "Damn... so this is what that water veil does."

Nyima glanced at me and gave me a slight smile. Was she pitying me?

Suddenly pillars of earth shook the entire miniature island, splitting it into several parts.

Iah and Nuk clashed in midair, sending boulder-sized chunks of earth flying into the sea. One of them nearly hit Ayawamat.

"Look where you're sending those things!" the arthropod-manipulating mage barked as the resulting wave drenched him further.

"Sorry," Iah said with a whimsical grin. "That one was mine!"

The long-haired young man narrowed his blue eyes at the blond youth. "You little..." He was cut off by the strings of water wrapping around his entire body.

"It's over for you," Nyima said before turning her attention toward Nahimana. Blood splattered into the sea as Nahimana's lance struck her side. "Damn..."

"Nyima!" I said, eyes wide as my teammate rolled around in pain. To make matters worse, the spell holding Ayawamat back faded.

"Feeling better?" Adela asked as she snuck a glance at Nyima.

"Yes," I responded without hesitation.

She smiled calmly as she let go of me. "Alright. I'll go help her." Without even turning around, she started to chant, "Leaves of the palm trees. Slice through my opponents!" The broad leaves of the giant palms glowed bright green and flung out of their spots—spinning like disks in the air as their edges became sharped by Adela's magic.