[Revised/Edited] Episode 18: Rush to the Testing Site!

"A mystical beast shall herald the arrival of a new ruler and an era of peace"

*Yen*

Lei looked around. The light had teleported us to the base of a forested hillside. Though there was no sight of the masquerade boy.

"That was rude," I said, staring at my empty hand. He must've had great control to not have warped himself with us.

Hikaru stepped forward. "He was a rude guy, but we might have to thank him later. Think this is our destination."

"Yes!" Lei yelled. He covered his feet in electricity and ran off into the distance.

"Wait up! At least be mindful of your surroundings if you're going to run off!" I screamed. I glanced back at the exhausted Hikaru. Sighing, I walked over to him, picked him up, and carried him on my back. "Let's go."

"It would be best if you left me here. I don't wish to be a burden to you," Hikaru said, closing his eyes.

"I'm not going to leave you behind, Hika. Also, you're not a burden. Without you, we wouldn't have gotten this far," I said, leaping into the trees.

I glanced at the dense forest ahead and gulped. 'I just hope that my brother will be fine on his own.'

*Nyima*

[A few minutes earlier | Northbound Caelum bridge]

"Why isn't traffic moving, it's as if time has stopped," I said, leaning back on my car seat.

Mother chuckled as she pulled her cherry-red hair back into a ponytail. "That's because it has, dear. Didn't think that there would be a time mage here."

I facepalmed.

"What? Why are you telling me this now?" I opened the door of the car and jumped out.

"Take care, Nyima!" Mother yelled.

"Don't worry about me!" I said before jumping into the river eleven feet underneath the bridge. "Water Dance." My cerulean eyes glowed cyan as water gathered around me, forming swirling wisps of water. The string-like wisps struck the river, creating ripples that froze in time as soon as they were a few feet away from me. I used the water underfoot to propel myself northwest, toward Mahpiya high. I only had a few minutes to spare.

I managed to significantly reduce my distance before time renewed again, and the river's current pushed me back. Swinging my hands back, I pushed my water wisp platform upstream. However, I stopped again and noticed a creature glistering like a brilliant yellow jewel. The unknown being walked in the middle of the river as if the current were nonexistent.

Before I knew it, the current vanished as time stopped anew. "What is that?" I asked, pushing myself toward the cryptid. The beast stopped, turning to look at me. The mysterious beast's body was like that of a deer but with the skin and hair of a dragon. On its head was a single sweptback scythe-shaped deer-like seven-branched antler.

I dispersed the wisps, using my magic to walk on the water myself. Though, doing so felt like running on a treadmill.

As soon as I reached it, I ran my hand through the yellow fur running along its spine. The hair was softer than any deer hide I had ever touched. The creature rubbed its neck against me, stomping the river with glee.

"Stop that," I said, chuckling as water splashed around us. My darted toward the distance. "I gotta get going. I'm not sure what you are, but I feel like meeting you is a good omen."