[Revised/Edited] Episode 36: The Fist Versus The Sword

-"A weapon is more than what meets the eye. So much more..."

*Ulissis*

I sighed and unzipped my sweater, placing it where I'd sat; between my best friends. Slowly, I descended the stairs while Xue jumped and landed on top of the stone cliff.

Her acrobatic skills were really amazing.

"Good luck!" Hal blurted out.

I jumped. "D-don't scream all of a sudden!"

He snickered. "You get scared easily."

I grumbled. That guy reminded me so much of Aban. I frowned as I looked forward. If only he were here with us.

"Try your best!" Alto exclaimed, waving at me as I got closer to the ring.

I glanced up at my blue-haired friend and gave him a nervous grin.

"Don't give in before the battle begins," Arima said, also grinning.

I turned away and rolled my eyes before running to the ring. 'That's easy for you two to say. You can both use your magic at your bidding. I'm not even sure what kind of magic I can use.'

"Begin!" Ms. Key announced as soon as I reached the ring.

My upper lip quivered as I stared at the silver-haired girl with very light purple eyes. Her expression was as calm as an untampered pond. Her hand remained on her sword's hilt as she closed her eyes.

"Aren't you going to attack me?" she asked as she bent her knees slightly.

I chuckled. I might have lacked magic, but I didn't lack a brain. He stepped side to side, circling her while keeping my distance. Xue moved fast, but her technique required deep concentration. Once I was within her line of sight, I could strike. But, with her earth powers and hyperfocus, that 'line of sight' was basically three-sixty degrees. As soon as she noticed my weak spot, she would strike at me. I had to be as wary as her if I planned to defeat her.

I finally stopped once I was behind her. My fist struck the ground where Xue once stood as she vanished. 'An afterimage?'

My opponent somersaulted overhead before the ground underneath cracked completely. Xue glanced down at the two-foot crater that I had formed. She smiled softly as she twirled in the air like a majestic dancer.

I stared at her as she landed and returned to the same stance as before. 'She's not using her magic. Is she underestimating me?' I smiled. 'Regardless, this is my chance to win!'

I looked down at my rugged, scarred hands. 'Thank you, Father.' I leaped into the air and side-kicked Xue, who blocked my attack with the side of her sheathed sword.

I cursed under my breath as I moved back, trying to regain some distance between us. Getting a hit on her would be harder than I thought.

Xue leaped into the air once more and spun around as she reached the barrier around the ring. She kicked her feet against the ceiling of the barrier and drew her sword out of its sheath by an inch. "Yuèliàng fēnggé: Qī gè shàn yè."

"Ulissis!" Alto yelled.

My eyes were wide as I fell to the floor, blood dripping out of my chest. W-what was that? She moved faster than Lei did when he wasn't under the effect of Orion's time magic. I curled my hands into fists.

"T-the winner is Xue!" Ms. Key yelled.

Ugh, I lasted even less than Orion had! How could I have thought I had a chance in the first place? Alban should've been the one fighting here, not me!