[Revised/Edited] Episode 40: Saints and Stars

-"The Immortals of the Heavens watch over all the worlds."

*Kun*

"We made it!" Yen yelled. She smiled at Hika and patted his back, nearly knocking him to the floor. "Now, let's see which of us will battle next. Perhaps even both of us will fight." Her eyes gleamed with anticipation. Knowing her, she was probably praying that it would be her turn to fight next. We all knew who our opponents were, but not the order in which we would fight.

Hika grabbed a rail, trying to collect his breath. As well as trying to keep himself from losing his dinner. "I need a rest."

Sis stuck out her tongue at me and nudged him playfully. "It's your fault. You went ahead and ran off without me."

He leaned down and touched his stomach. He tried his best to suppress the pain and groaned. Yen simply gave him a victorious smile.

Hika groaned as he tried to step forward. Sis's training really was tough. Funny she drove Hika into the dirt, while telling Lei he should rest more.

"Welcome back," Eien greeted as he floated in the air. He jumped down as if going down invisible stairs and flashed Hika a sadistic grin. "Now we can begin the first match of the first round. Hikaru Mikado versus Adela Xian."

He glanced at Adela who was seated next to Lei and me. She had changed into a tight-fitting hanfu, the color of autumn leaves. Along with her loose silk scarf flying elegantly in the air, it made her look almost goddess-like.

Yen's smile vanished. I would've smiled, if it weren't for the fact that my best friend was the one battling without resting first.

Adela leaped over the barricade and passed through the barrier which only allowed her in as it knew she was the next one to go.

Her eyes grew cold as she stared Hika down. "Are you ready?"

Hika staggered towards the center of the arena as his leg muscles threatened to give in. He took a deep breath. The chatter of the arena suddenly slowed to less than a whisper.

"He's using his magic," I whispered to Nahimana.

Nahi nodded. "I didn't figure that he would be this weak. He still needs training. It'll be awhile before he will be of any use to us."

I chuckled. It was saddening to see the boy I had once considered my rival in this state. The two of us used to run around and try to one up each other. We even used to spar with swords. While the guy never defeated me, he did come close several times. Well, there was that one time that he did beat me...

Hika glanced up at us while everyone else remained frozen, like figures in a picture.

I grinned.

Hikaru narrowed his eyes at me. His eyes then widened as he stepped back. He likely realized he couldn't sense my prana. His breath escaped his lungs, allowing time to flow normally once more.

I chuckled. Seeing his reaction made me want to jump down there and have our long awaited rematch.

"Hikaru," Adela said, pointing a metal knife at him. "Are we going to start this match, or not?"

Hikaru touched his chest. He side-glanced me before turn his attention back to his opponent. "Why did you change?"

Adela gave him a smug grin. "I feel more comfortable fighting in this. Now, are you ready?"

Hikaru leered at her. Knowing him he was likely thinking, 'what tight clothing, not to mention that it's made out of silk, a very delicate fabric, not the kind one would want to wear during a magic battle.' However, such thinking only proved how little he knew about her.