[Revised/Edited] Episode 62: Gathering

"Twenty brilliant rays shall be tasked with saving the world."

*Lei*

"Oi," someone called out. Sitting on the steps in front of the boys' dorm was Hal, with his usual cat-like grin.

I turned around and jumped back. "When did he...? He's totally a ninja!" I spun back around. "You are, aren't you?"

Hal leaned his head against his hands and snickered. "Maybe... or maybe not."

'If he isn't, then what would he be?'

"This guy loves his mystery," Sarah said as she shook her head and sighed. "I still got no idea as to how he snuck into the castle."

'Well, being mysterious is all part of being a ninja. Whether he is or not, the guy is shady...'

"How about we reintroduce ourselves?" Ms. Key suggested as she walked over to the girl's dorm and sat down on the white marble steps.

Xue bowed slightly. "I'm Xue Yueliang."

Iah's ears perked up at the mention of her name. "Oh, a Yueliang, so you're from Uan then?"

"Uan, isn't that the country next to Xiān?" I asked, looking at Adela for verification.

"It is," Adela responded with a single nod. "I didn't expect anyone else from my part of the woods to come here."

"You must be Adela Xiān," Xue said, walking over to her. She held out a hand and gave her a slight smile. "I look forward to observing you, for even if our peoples live close to one another they are still strangers.

Adela accepted her handshake and snickered. "Likewise."

"Is it true that you learn three elements?" An asked as he sat down next to Hal.

Xue's pearly eyes widened. "Three elements already? Impressive. Are the rest of the Xiān as talented as they say they are?"

"Not... all of us," I said, as I regulated my breathing some more.

"You're a Xiān too?" Arima asked with a hint of amusement.

Yen nodded. "Our great-grandmother was the priestess of Xiān," my sister said, crossing her arms. "She was a very strong individual at that."

"Woah," Hal said, eyes shimmering. "Though, what do you mean by you're not talented?"

"I wouldn't exactly call it a talent. Lei and Yen weren't raised completely in the Xiānian ways so the way they were taught magic differs from most of our other clan members. Those of us who live in Xiān, however, are taught magic from a young age. We are required to start practicing our clan's secret arts by age ten. That is, once we have mastered the basic and first levels of all three elements or types of magic."

I only knew how to use Xianian magic thanks to some scrolls aunt Ocarina gave us. They belonged to Grandfather.

"You're not all that different from us, Uan, and Aief then. Our clans have a requirement before teaching one's children the family spells they've cultivated for generations," An said as he scratched his head. "Except, unlike the Uan and Xiān, we Aief are required to master a familiar before we even begin learning magic."

"I assume you have your familiar already?" Yen asked, unfolding her arms. "If not then how did you get in? You do know magic, right?"

Ulissis coughed and turned away.

"Are you feeling well?" my sister asked.

Ulissis shook his head. "Sorry, I haven't been feeling all that well since we arrived."