[Revised/Edited] Episode 58: The Fox-Child

-"The ball of the fox slowly rolls away into the night"

*Eien*

From the garden, I stared at the burning sky. I held out my hands toward the dying sunlight.

"I hope that these next three years will bring us fortune. Alas, I fear it may be the opposite," I said before lowering my head.

"Eien." I turned my head and saw Zelde make her way past the nearby plum trees. Her face was covered in flour.

I chuckled and touched my own face. "You got a little something."

She sighed, and wiped the flour away. "I know."

I grinned. "One should always maintain a proper appearance. As a noble, you should be aware of that."

She snickered slightly as she removed her apron. "No one here, besides you and my friends, know that I'm the heir of a Wahkanian tribe." She waved her hand at me. "Now come."

I tilted my head. "Why?" A mischievous grin dotted my face. "Ahhh, do you want to beat me up for what happened earlier? Well, I'm afraid to inform you that I'm too smart to fall for that old yakuza-style trick."

She furrowed her brow and shook her head. "Why do you act like that?"

My grin vanished. I put my hands into the pockets of my white fur coat. Side-eyeing the lake, I said, "I don't have to answer that." I grumbled as I walked on ahead. "Listen, I'm sorry for what happened."

A smug cheek to cheek smile formed across Zelde's face. She snorted audibly.

I glared at her.

'Good thing there's no one else here.'

"What's so funny?" I snapped.

Zelde calmed herself down. "Ahh, sorry." She wiped a tear from her right eye. "It's just, what's with the sudden apology? Did you hate sitting by yourself?"

I removed my hands from my white coat. "As if!" I raised a hand toward the dying sunlight. "I'm not lonely... I have the right number of friends." I chuckled. "A large group of friends only leaves one open to being betrayed."

Zelde walked over toward the pond and peered at her own reflection. "I've seen it happen many times."

I lowered my hand and put it over my chest.

***

[Years Ago-- Nine Petal Academy Grounds]

"That kid is so annoying. If he weren't the prince, as well as my cousin, I wouldn't be hanging out with him," a boy with weasel eyes said.

"Your cousin is always ruining our games," complained another boy who was leaning on a wall nearby. He had a frown on his face.

"Not to mention he's rather creepy-looking with those eyes of his," a slim girl with butterfly fish clips commented.

I dropped my red ball, causing the rest of the kids to notice me. I sniffled and turned around. I ran off, tears in my eyes.

I continued to run and run until I bumped into something, causing me to fall to the ground. "Ouch," I said, rubbing my forehead. I raised my icy blue eyes and saw that it wasn't a thing, but rather a person.

"Eien?" a girl with snake-like eyes said. She had long green hair, and wore a simple black dress. "Why the rush? Something happen?"

I stepped back. "Mayu," I said over tears and snot.

Mayu hugged me tightly. "Eien, what happened? Did you fall down?"

The words of the other kids echoed in my head.