[Revised/Edited] Episode 79: The Lightning and the Ogre

"To fight is to live, to live is to fight"

*Iah *

The bell rung as Xue and I were putting our jewel inside a pot filled with sand. Using my earth magic, I covered it up rapidly and ran over to my table and grabbed my backpack, running out to get to my next class on time. My last class of the day was Spell Proficiency.

I sat down in one of the front seats and glanced around the boring-looking classroom. I saw only unknown first-years with a few unknown second- and third-years thrown into the mix.

"Hello," a familiar person greeted some of the other students seated in the front row. It was Ren, the boy who had made an unusually higher ranked potion than one would expect from someone who had created a monster out of their first potion.

Ren noticed me and grinned, making his way toward me. "You're Iah, right?" he said as he walked past me.

"You should know, I just introduced myself in the previous class."

He snickered. "Oh, right. Sorry. I'm not that good with names."

I snickered. "It's fine." He was the only one who even got close to me. Everyone else was at least two seats away, if not more.

Ren frowned as he noticed what was going on. "Why are they avoiding you?"

I leaned back on my seat and chuckled. "You should know, considering the reaction that you and the other three had last class. It's probably because I'm a Wudi."

"You're faster than I expected," Xue said as she entered the class. She dropped her stuff on the desk next to mine. "You left before we could put our names on our project."

I rubbed my right shoulder shyly. "Sorry about that. Are Nyima, Adela, and Lei coming?"

She shook her head. "They should be on their way."

"Iah!" I looked up and saw Alto wave at me.

He was accompanied by Ulissis, Sarah, Hikaru, Yen, Nuk, and Adela.

Alto sat down to my right. "Think we'll get a chance to battle?"

I scoffed. "In this class? No way. Unless if that's to recreate a historical battle."

"So, it seems we were split," Hikaru said, glancing at the different halves of the four teams.

"But that we ended up evenly split is kind of creepy, and I don't just mean during this period."

"I don't think this is a coincidence," Adela whispered. "I am guessing that the ones in charge of putting the classes together took the liberty of making sure that we were all limited to being divided between two classes at all times."

"Is that right?" I said, turning to look at Alto. "You were with at least one of the other groups after we split up?"

Alto nodded. "We did. For the second period, my group was with Sarah and Nuk's groups. Third period we were with Hikaru and Sarah's groups."

"It makes sense," Ren said, nodding his head.

I eyed him suspiciously. He had been in my last two classes too. "What do you mean?"

"Look around, everyone except for me is avoiding you. If they divided you up then other classes would have a similar dynamic. Also, on my way here, I heard that you were attacked."

"You did?" Sarah said, surprised. She narrowed her eyes. "I thought that the only ones that saw Alto and Adela's groups be attacked were Lady Zettai and Eien. Who did you hear it from?"