[Revised/Edited] Episode 30: Wishing for More

-"The Lonely Crow of the Night glides against the wind, trying to find its path."

*Ayawamat*

Muna and I went to a tiny convenience store to buy ourselves ham sandwiches. After finishing our meal outside of the store, we returned to the elementary school and saw two injured seven-year-olds.

"Bro, what happened to you? Did you get hit by big kid too?" Serein asked, staring at a blue-haired kid who looked like him.

Serein's brother glared at an orange-haired kid with ripped clothes walking beside him who also had bandages. "I got into a fight with this guy!" he exclaimed.

Yen shook her head at them. "First Shǎndiàn, and now Raul? Serein seems to be the most docile one in this family."

"Obviously you're counting yourselves there," I said, snickering.

Yen smiled slightly. "Yeah, because you're always picking on Lei. If only we could've finished our battle."

"You bullied big Shǎndiàn?" Muna asked, her pink eyes as wide as golf balls.

"Uh..." My eyes shifted toward my younger brother. "Hey, Reain, come here! We gotta get those wounds covered up before our parents return. Oh right..." I took out a sandwich out of my school bag. "This is for you. Eat it on the way home."

Reain took the sandwich and grinned happily. "Thanks, big brother!" He quickly unwrapped it and bit it with gusto. "Hmm."

"Bye, Serein and Shǎndiàn!" Muna said, waving. She grabbed my left hand and Reain's right hand tightly and sung a happy tune she had recently learned in class.

***

It took the three of us an hour to arrive at our apartment. The building was a dull gray color and had few windows. In most of the places where there were supposed to be windows, there was plywood instead. A relic from the tropical storm that had blasted through the island three-years prior.

I let go of my sister's hand, reached into my right pants' pocket, and took out a rusted key. I had to push against the door in order for it to open it completely.

"We should really get that fixed," Reain muttered.

If only we had the money to do so...

Muna's smile vanished. She hugged my leg as she looked at the gray walls and the eerie darkness due to the lack of windows. "This place is so gloomy compared to my school."

It sure is...

"It's not," I said.

She continued to hug me. "Brother...don't go to that school...I'll be lonely without you."

I knelt down and softly patted her head. "You can ask Dad or Mom to let you stay at Shǎndiàn's place if you'll like."

She looked at me with tearful eyes. "You're the only one here... to make this home happy."

I hugged my sister tightly. Tears rolled down my face. 'I had always wanted to leave this place... escape from the solitude of the place I called "home". But...what's this feeling? Now that my dream is so close, why am I crying?'

"What about me?" Reain said, glaring at us. His mouth was covered in breadcrumbs.

Muna let go of me and ran to embrace our brother. "I feel better with both of you!" she exclaimed.

Reain smiled, ruffling her hair as she embraced him. His precarious eyes glanced up at me. "Go to Nine Petal Academy. I'll take good care of Muna. I'll even try my best at cooking for her."