[Revised/Edited] Episode 4: Farewell

-"Saying Goodbye is often the hardest thing to do. But sometimes it must be done."

*Alto*

[Eight Days prior to the test]

"Morning, Mom!" I said as I pulled up a seat at the dining table.

A chocolate-brown-skinned woman with long, wavy cyan hair placed a bowl of oatmeal in front of me. "Morning kiddo. Ready for another day of tutoring?" she asked, smiling.

I stared at the oatmeal, eyes solemn.

Mom sat down next to me and leaned in closely. "What's with that reaction? You're acting as if someone died."

I flashed her a smile. "It's nothing. I'm just tired. That's all." I moved my thick, gooey oatmeal around the bowl with the spoon.

Mom stood up. Her cyan eyes looked me up and down. "Is that so? Then how about I tutor the kiddos today? You can go ahead and take the day off."

"No!" I yelled, my eyes on her. I bit his lip and glanced back at my warm meal. "I-I'll do it."

She took a deep breath and put her arms on her hips. "Son. You're thinking of going to Kyuu Seishin. Aren't you? It's fine if you want to go. Your father and I won't hold you back. And you know that I enjoy having the kiddos around."

I smiled at her. She did always love having kids around. I would've had more siblings if it weren't difficult for my parents. And I certainly wouldn't have minded having several younger siblings to take care of, or even several more older siblings to look up to and want to outdo. Sadly, they only managed to have Zy and me.

"You know me well, Mom," I said, taking a bite of the oatmeal, allowing its soft, warm, gooey texture to fill my taste buds. "It's delicious. Like always."

His mother chuckled. "Thanks. Glad that you like it. Hopefully it has relieved your troubles at least a little."

I nodded. "Thanks, Mama." I hugged her tightly. "You're the best."

Her long, slender fingers combed my hair back as her motherly warmth wrapped around me. "I'll miss you, kiddo."

I looked up at her eyes. "I'm not leaving yet. I haven't even decided if I'll be going or not," I said, letting go of her. "So don't say goodbye just yet."

She snickered and patted my head. "Alright."

I returned to gulping down my oatmeal.

"Slow down or you're going to choke," a stern voice called out. Lowering my bowl, I turned toward the entrance of the kitchen. A handsome dark-skinned man with medium long crimson hair rolled his wheelchair in. He had a couple of scars on his face and on his hands.

I punched my chest, trying to get the food to go down. "Got... got ya."

The man snickered. "So what's the rush? Got a date with a pretty girl or something?"

I grabbed my bowl and stood up to place it into the empty sink. "I'm going to go give what might just be my last lesson to the kids. At least until my next vacation."

Father crossed his arms over his chest and smiled proudly. "You sure took after your mother. You're nothing like your heartless old man."

I rolled my eyes. "Dad. You're not heartless. If you were then brother and I would likely have daddy issues."

My father let out a belly laugh. "True. True. Though, you do wish to defeat me, right?"

I gave him a smug smile. "Of course. I hope that one day my legacy can surpass that of the 'Crimson Soldier'."