Chapter 95: Someone to Talk to

"When lonely, speak to the one who never abandons you"

*Lei*

"Hey, hey!" I shouted, running toward the stands. I would've flown all the way, but anyone caught me, I probably would've gotten in trouble.

"What's up?" Iah asked, glancing up as he and the other guys put down the freezer.

Taking a deep breath, I responded, "Mayu is one of the eight!"

"What?" Nyima said, eyes wide. "Did she confront you?"

I nodded. "Well, more like I confronted her about it. She seemed to know about the attacks."

Adela sighed. "Ren did too. He likely informed the others about it. You shouldn't be accusing people without solid proof. It's bad enough that you accuse Ren, but not Mayu too?"

Iah crossed his arms. "I think that Lei might be right. Besides, I asked Ren not to tell."

"Maybe he let it out by accident?" Nyima suggested.

My teammate tilted his head. "That's possible. I still don't trust that guy either. There's something fishy about him."

"Not to mention that his friend is called 'Nobu'," I said, glancing over at the cat guy.

An and Sarah nodded. "That is highly suspicious," An said.

"It sure is," Ayawamat said, nodding as he helped repositioned the fridge.

I stared at him with my mouth agape. Ayawamat was actually agreeing with me? The end of the had to be near!

"How many people here have 'Nobu' as a part of their name?" Sarah asked.

"I already looked that up, a lot," Alto said.

Hal summoned his tablet and scrolled through it. "Here's some examples; There's Nobuhiko, Nobura, Nobuna, Nobunaga, and a couple others in addition to Nobuyuki."

Adela gave me a 'see' look.

I grumbled. Why couldn't she believe me? Even Ayawamat seemed more trusting of me than she was!

"Lei," a voice called out. Behind me was Mayu. A tall girl with horse-like eyes accompanied her. "I need you to come with us."

I stepped back. "I'm not coming with you!"

"Lei," Adela said, her voice filled with concern. "If you want then I'll go with you so that..."

"No, she'll hurt you too," I yelled, taking another step back. I wasn't going with them, not without a fight. It might have seemed paranoid of me but something in my gut screamed not to go with them. If I did then I might never return to class.

"Calm down," she said, reaching a hand out.

She couldn't expect me to calm down when our very lives could be in danger. The only people we could trust were each other. Yet, even that was impossible. She trusted Ren more than me.

"Sorry," I said, tears streaming down my eyes. I turned tail and ran as fast as I could. Kohaku quickly caught up. Using metal wires, she grasped a hold of my arm and yanked me back, sending me crashing into the pavement.

I sent an electric current through the wire but Kohaku wasn't affected. She was also a lightning mage.

"Calm down," Kohaku said as she reached a hand toward me. "Everything will be fine. Resisting is only making things worse."

Resisting is only making things worse.

A deep sweat ran down my face. Visions of fire returned. Visions like the ones that tortured Adela to this day.

I summoned my wands, cutting the wire clean. Holding my knives into the air, I said, "I'm not coming with you." Lightning covered my legs. Springing into the air, I tried to make myself disappear.

"Brother," Yen yelled as she chased after me. I slowed my ascent

"You trust me, don't you?" I asked as I jumped higher and higher. Water vapor started to drench my clothes as I neared main body of the cloud above.

She nodded as she followed. "Come, let's go someplace safe. You need to relax or you'll hurt yourself."

I simply nodded and followed her back down.

*Yuzuki*

Today I skipped class yet again. My entire body still ached from the battle against Tahoma. As I was about to return to sleep, my phone rang.

I picked it up but doing so sent a shock across my right arm. Noticing that it was Lei calling, I ignored the pain.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey," Lei said. His voice was melancholy.

"Is something the matter?"

"I should be asking you that. How are you feeling? You haven't come to class in days."

"Bad. That brother of yours turned out to have a very strong friend."

"You mean my brother was friends with Tahoma? Kun actually had a friend that I didn't know about?" He sniffled. "Brother. If only he were still around..."

I touched my head. Part of me said that he still was... but how could that be?

"Now, what's the matter with you?"

"I got into a fight of my own. I'm sort of fleeing right now."

"Fleeing?"

He laughed. "Yeah. You see, I got in trouble with the council."

"What did you do?"

Lei usually only got in trouble when fighting. Like that one time that Ayawamat and him started arguing lunch back in middle school.

"I threatened the third-year class president."

"Why?"

"Because, she wants to kick us out of here. Yet, no one believes me."

I glanced up at the white ceiling. "I see. Well, I believe you. Mayu did seem to be up to something during the exams, but I couldn't quiet figure out what she was looking at. I had thought it interest in your skills, but perhaps she was thinking of how to defeat all of you. You know, it's nice that you called me."

"Wah?" he said, flustered.

My face flushed. "Uh..."

"There you are!" a girl's voice called out.

"Nyima," Yuzuki and Lei said.

"Yuzuki, you're going to get in trouble. You're going to get yourselves suspended or worse!"

"Hey, let go of me," Lei said. "I'm talking to someone!"

"Say good-bye," Nyima barked.

"Jeez, I'm not some little kid! No need to yank my arm like one. My own mom never did that."

"Well, you're acting like one. Come. I'll be accompanying you. If anything bad happens then I'll bail you out."

Lei grumbled. "Bye, Yuzu. I'll talk to you later!"

"Yuzu?" Nyima asked. "You're talking to Yuzuki? I've been wondering this for awhile now, is she your girlfriend?"

"Nnnnooo! Besides, what do you care if she is?" he said. "Ah, are you jealous?"

She scoffed. "No! Why would I be?"

"Bye, Lei," I whispered. "Take care."

"You too!" he yelled back.

I smiled as I dropped the phone. What was going on outside? Orion had told me about how An and Sarah had gotten attacked while I was out cold from my battle with Tahoma. If only I could heal faster, then I would be able to aid them.

***

Solar Note: What did you think of Lei's reaction toward Mayu and Kohaku? Think that he really is paranoid? Or is he correct to suspect them?**