[Revised/Edited] Episode 73: Labyrinth of Illusions

-"There are moments in life that are like a dark labyrinth, one that is impossible to escape. But never lose hope, there will always be a light at the end of the tunnel. See not by sight, but by faith."

*Adela*

Arima's group and mine, plus Renshu, spent the rest of P.E. class navigating through the jungle-gym-like obstacle course. However, each time we thought we found the exit, a wall would appear. And it continued on and on, it was like being inside a living labyrinth.

"Where to now?" Lei said as he touched a dull gray plastic wall which was where a rope ladder once stood.

"We have to get out of here," I said, glancing down at my red watch. "It's almost time for the next class."

"Koukyuu will surely let us go once the bell rings, right?" Ulissis asked, smiling nervously.

I looked down at the wooden floor.

'Would she really? She is Eien's aunt and stood on the sidelines for a while during the whole crazy Zelde debacle on the ship. She might be interested in testing us in her own way.'

"I'm... not too sure about that," I said.

Arima grabbed my arm without warning.

"Something the matter?" I asked, glancing over at the ghost mage.

She nodded as the others also turned their attention toward her. "Listen to me, everyone. This is an illusion."

Nyima snickered. "I figured that one out awhile ago."

Arima raised an eyebrow at her. "You did? Why didn't you say so sooner?"

"About time you figured that out," a girl called out. Standing by a rope ladder was a girl wearing a green snake mask. Before we knew what was going on, we were surrounded by seven other Kyuu Seishinians, all of whom also were wearing animal masks.

"Damn it, it's them," Renshu said as he raised his arms out and stood his ground.

One of the other Kyuu Seishinians chuckled. It was a guy wearing a weasel's mask. "So, you have decided to return. You should have done as your friend did, and given up," Weasel Mask said in a smooth voice.

"Arbor Draconis, emerge!" I chanted. Vines appeared under the weasel-masked boy and gasped his body tightly, some of them even ripped through the black wizard cloak he was wearing. The material however rapidly restored itself.

"Did his clothes just heal themselves?" Ulissis asked, mouth wide open.

"Yeah," Alto said, taking a step back. He stared at the ceiling which was covered in a thick plastic layer. "Should we fight them or escape here by force?"

I took a step closer and tightened the vine's hold on Weasel Mask.

The guy turned his gray eyes toward Snake Mask.

The vines were pulled toward the girl as if she had been the one who had called upon them.

"Tsk. Wood magic won't work so long as I'm here," the girl said as she adjusted her serpent's mask.

"What's the meaning of this?" Ulissis shook his head at them. "Why are you doing this? What have we ever done to you?"

"We were instructed to, well... Let us just say, we were told to show the eight of you the way out," Snake Mask said.

I stepped back. The girl was obviously their leader, if only I could figure out a way to take her down then perhaps the group would know that we weren't to messed with. I did have a way, though. But that was a double-edged sword.