[Revised/Edited] Episode 77: Getting Acquainted

"To learn is to grow. To grow is to mature. To mature is to live."

*Nyima*

The only students in the class, apart from Yuuta, were Ren and a girl with jade hair and snake-like eyes. It was Mayu, another of the proctors from the test.

"What class is this?" I asked, just to make sure. I eyed the empty black chairs once more. "Where are the rest of the students?"

"This class is Tool Synthesis," the woman who looked like Yuuta said. "It's an elective course, albeit one that is unpopular."

"Why?" Hal said. "Do the majority of Kyuu Seishinians hate making personal weapons?"

"It's not that," Mayu said in a low voice, barely above a whisper. She looked up from the book that she was reading.

Apparently she was into romance novels as she was reading the biggest international hit at the moment, 'Anilla'. And how do I know that it's romance? Well, I might have, sort of, read it.

"Despite being an elective, this has a very small acceptance rate," the teacher responded.

"Only one Kyuu Seishinian of each grade normally gets in," Ren said. "Even for you foreigners it isn't easy. That you're here means that you scored high in the prana control sections of your test."

"I didn't think I did that well," An said, rubbing his stomach nervously.

"I bet you didn't," Mayu said, returning to 'Anilla'.

"Can you eight move out of the way," a boy with weasel-like eyes barked at us.

"Shiori," the snake-eyed girl said, lowering her book once more. "I didn't know you had this class, too."

Shiori walked over and sat down next to his friend. He gave her a dashing smile. "I wanted to surprise you." He shifted his eyes over to us. They seemed as if they were glaring. "So these are this year's foreign first-years. Which of you is Iah?"

"So, you've heard of me," Iah said as he sat down in the closest seat to the door. Iah leered at Shiori. "Would you like to test our strength?"

The white-haired boy smiled slightly, interlacing his long, slender, ivory fingers. His beady, emerald eyes narrowed. "No, I am just interested in seeing this year's talent. Your second-year compatriots were weak, in fact most of last year's crop of foreigners left."

'Yeah, thanks to being intimidated by a group wearing masks.'

"Let's stop the chatter and get on with class," our teacher announced. The rest of us sat down in whichever seat was closest to us. "I'm Mrs. Akiyama. and I'll be your Synthesis teacher for the rest of the year. Since this class is small, I'd like you to introduce yourselves and tell us a little about yourself. Let's start with the members of Team L.I.N.A."

'Lina?'

Lei rapidly bolted up from his seat. "Nice to meet you all. I'm Lei Lan from Wahkan. My favorite thing to do in my free time is to hang out with my friends. My goal is to become the next Magus Maximus!" Most of the Kyuu Seishinians, Hal, and Sarah snickered at his declaration.

My pesky teammate crossed his arms as he retreated to his seat. "I'll show you all," he mumbled. "One of these days you'll all be bowing before me."

'Since he went then I guess that means that my team is going first. Who came up with that name though?,

"Hello. I'm Nyima Taiyang," I said, standing up straight as if I were part of the military. "My favorite animals are rabbits and bunnies. My dream is to become the best fashion designer and hairstylist in the world."