Episode 85: Preparations for the Festival

"A joyous occasion shall bring light to the darkened world."

Previously on Novus Magus: We were attacked by a red-haired girl. As Vita was about to unmask the girl, a boy wearing a tanuki mask appeared to save her. Even after receiving some info on six of the eight masked ones from our Sophomores, we are no closer to discovering their true identities- Iah

*Iah*

"Everyone, come to the living room," Ms. Key yelled, worry evident in her words.

"What's wrong?" I asked, throwing my blankets unto the table. Rubbing my eyes, I bolted out of my couch bed.

Alto ran downstairs in a flash. "Is there an intruder?"

Our teacher came out of the kitchen with her cellphone. "I just finished talking to the dorm master of Midori Dorm, Haroun."

"My brother?" Vermeil said as she descended the stairs with the rest of our classmates. Her brow furrowed. "What did he say? Was brother attacked?"

Ms. Key shook her head. "No. If anyone was attacked, it was Renshu."

"Renshu?" Adela said, startled as she descended the stairs. She leapt over the rails, landing behind our teacher. "Why do you say that? What did Haroun say?"

She took a deep breath. "Haroun told me that Renshu hasn't returned to the dorm.

Adela shook her head, eyes wide with shock and fear. "We got to find him, his life could be in danger!"

"Calm down," Hal said, leaning against the wall next to the stairs. He crossed his arms, grinning coolly. "We're bound to find him if he's still on the island. Hmm, are there any forbidden areas?"

"Yes," Ms. Key responded, nodding her head. "There's one in the west, but only a select few of us staff members can access it."

"What about the dark staircase?" Nyima suggested.

"The one from yesterday?" I asked, recalling where we had met Yuuta.

Nyima nodded as she pace around the living room in circles. "That one. " She came to an abrupt stop next to me. "Though, Yuuta said that he was guarding it. We managed to affirm that he isn't one of the eight yesterday as the tanuki-masked-boy and him were in the same location at the same time. So the chances of Renshu being there are very low."

I snickered. "Not necessarily. The first branch has the power to create illusions, however those usually involve a change of landscape. It could also be a doppelgänger spell."

"Doppelgänger spells are difficult, but if Yuuta really is the tanuki then it would have be a doppelganger," Ms. Key said. "Lucette can see through illusions, and neither the tanuki-masked boy, or Yuuta were illusions."

"Hmm, I'll try to see what I can discover," Hal said, jumping off of the final step.

"Are you really the best person for this?" Hikaru questioned, hiding a skeptical smile. "You aren't exactly a quiet person."

"He is the best suited person," Vermeil affirmed, patting her teammate on the back. "I can vouch for his skills. I'll be going with him to shield him during his search."

"I'm quite lucky, aren't I?" Hal said, rubbing his chin and nodding triumphantly. Not like he had won anything, but then again... Spending time with Vermeil wasn't a bad set up.

"You sure are," I said with a wink. "Being accompanied by the likes of Vermeil."

Nyima pushed me. "Wipe off your drool and change into your uniform."