[Revised/Edited] Episode 71: Nightmare

"The light of the divine will shine through any nightmare"

Adela

Cold sweat covered my face. I rolled around, waving my hands at the flames around me as the entire island burned down around me. I yelled, or rather I tried to, nothing would come out. Suddenly I heard footsteps behind me. Standing by what was once the castle of Nine Petal Academy was Iah. His eyes were a dull yellow, as if he hadn't seen the light for years.

Standing by him was an injured Nyima who was desperately healing someone. I approached them and noticed that the person she was healing was Lei. His left arm was covered in dark silver metallic crystals, and his eyes...there was something off with them. As I got closer to help Nyima, a fireball struck the three of them down. I looked up and saw a young man with skin as white as a snow rabbit. He grinned at me and formed another fireball.

I tried to gather the elements around me, but nothing happened. I could only stare as Lei and the others were being burned alive. I decided to run into the flames but black chains latched onto my arms and legs. I shook around furiously, stomping on the ground, kicking, and thrashing. Yet I couldn't do anything. The last thing I saw was Lei trying to smile as his body was covered completely by the strange metal substance.

I let out a howling scream. Sweat rolled down my face as I found myself in the darkness of the night.

"What's wrong?" Nyima said, getting up. She looked around nervously. "Someone turn on the lights."

Zelde ran over and switched on the lights.

Yen had barely started to wake up when Zelde turned on the lights. "What's going on? Did you have a nightmare?" Yen asked, rubbing her eyes.

I grasped my chest, sweat covered not only my face, but also my pillow. "I'm...fine..." I looked up at Nyima who was sitting back down. Good, it was all a dream.

I got up and put on my red slippers. "Sorry for disturbing you...I'm going to go get some fresh air."

"Was it that scary of a dream?" Nyima asked. "You're drenched."

I grabbed the doorknob and noticed that my hands were shaking. I covered my left hand with my right in order to open the door. "I...I'm sorry for waking you up. Please go back to sleep."

"Will you really be fine?" Zelde said as she prepared to turn off the lights. "You still look shaken."

I hesitated. The dream felt so real... That it did, could it mean several things? I hoped that it was merely a dream, not something to come.

I tiptoed down the stairs, careful not to wake up Lei and the other boys sleeping in the living room, as well as trying to avoid tripping. The shadows were eerie, but thankfully I had moonlight coming into the house to guide my way.

I unlocked the glass door with my metal magic to lessen all the sound I was making. Luckily the boys proved to be heavy sleepers.

Once outside, I stepped into the center of the backyard. It was nearly four-fifths of a mile wide and half a mile long, with barely any trees, allowing anyone to practice magic at ease.

A cold breeze blew in, sending shivers across my spine, but it was kind of comforting when compared to that nightmare. I unstuck my clothes from my skin...I made a mental note to shower before going back to sleep.

The moon above was nearly completely waxed. I took a step forward and lifted my hands toward the sky. I had gotten the sudden urge to sing a song of prayer. Though, being the priestess it was actually expected of me to do so.