Epilogue: Novus Magus Secundus

"Sixteen shall become one"

*Lei*

"Wake up," Wanikiya called out.

I wiped my eyes clean. "What's wrong?" I said, sleepily. I laid my head back down on my pillow, drifting back into dreamland. I shook my head. No, I couldn't fall asleep, not having seen 'that'.

"I had an odd dream."

Wanikiya threw me my black blazer. "Talk later, we're going to be late."

I dressed up quickly and ran out of our room. Iah and the other guys were already waiting by the back door of our renovated dorm. It was hard to believe that four months ago this place was a dust-covered, centipede infested dump.

"Lei," Adela said, greeting me. She smiled brightly at me.

"Again, you're going to make us late," Nyima said, shaking her head.

I crossed my arms. "If you feel that way then you should've gone on ahead by yourself."

"Today Ms. Key has an important announcement," Alto said as our group of sixteen freshman descended the steps. "We shouldn't keep her waiting."

Iah narrowed his eyes, a huge grin formed. "You really have a thing for teach, don't you?"

Alto crossed his arms, and looked away. "I do not. I just have great respect for her. She did let us stay at her place until our side of the dorms were renovated."

When we arrived at the plaza in front of the main school building, we found ourselves at a loss. Crowds of freshmen occupied the space. They were split into groups of four.

"What's going on?" Ulissis said, jumping to get a better look.

I narrowed my eyes. It was difficult to make out with the large crowd, but I managed to catch a glimpse of Boukyaku's team in the center of the ground.

"It's beginning," Ms. Key said, walking up behind us. She was accompanied by Mr. Suzuran, Mrs. Akiyama, and Koukyuu.

"Everyone quiet down," a familiar voice howled. It belonged to that ogre of a proctor, Mr. Obi. It had been awhile since I had last heard his rough voice.

"Some of you might've been told ahead of time, but for the vast majority who haven't, allow me to explain why we've gathered you here. We are going to be beginning the promotion exams for you freshmen."

"Yes!" I yelled, gaining the attention of everyone.

Mr. Obi growled as he walked over toward me. "Mr. Lan, it's been awhile."

I grinned. "It has been, Mr. O great one," I said, crossing my arms and grinning.

Mr. Obi narrowed his eyes. "Let's see if you can pass this test." He turned around to address the larger crowd. "You will all be divided into pairs of four and be assigned a teacher. Prince Boukyaku's team, and I will be overseeing the exams." He raised a hand toward the air. "Your assigned teacher will tell you more." He snapped his fingers.

Adela, Nyima, Iah, Ayawamat, and I were warped into the beach.

"Good, I got paired up with you, again," Koukyuu said with a grin as she waved hello.

Iah nodded eagerly. "Yes, it must be fate."

Nyima glared at him. "Don't flirt with our teacher."

He chuckled. "Don't tell me that you're jealous?"

She snorted. "Of course not. I wouldn't fall for a playboy like you, ever."

Iah grinned. "We'll see about that," he said, confidently.

Koukyuu cleared her throat. "We have to start this exam soon. You five will be expected to work as a team."

Ayawamat and I glared at each other.

"Why did I have to be paired up with these guys? I would've preferred being paired up with Kun, Eien, Nahimana, Orion, and Miwa," Ayawamat said.

Koukyuu shook her head. "Not this again..."

Ayawamat always kept making things difficult... in some ways he was more annoying than the eight. At least they made for good training... well, so did Ayawamat... if only the guy would accept to battle me!

"Now, this exam has three sections," Koukyuu continued. "The first section will be 'bonds'."

I glanced over from the other end of the group at Ayawamat. "Bonding?"

"Yes. But not exactly as a group. You'll each be paired up with someone from another world. We got some volunteers, though they might be difficult to handle."

"Why?" Nyima said, nervous about what was to come.

"You'll know when you meet them." She took out a blue orb. "Are you ready to begin?"

The five of us nodded.

(TBC in Descent of Darkness...)