[Revised/Edited] Episode 47: Dance of the Swords

- "Winds blow the cherry blossoms away."

*An*

Boukyaku escorted Sarah and the rest of us inside of the castle. The wooden floors reflected our bodies like mirrors. The walls of the castle were wood covered in plaster, nothing as fancy as the outside which made the place look regal and somewhat threatening.

"Is this really a castle?" Ulissis said, glancing at the empty white walls.

Boukyaku chuckled. "It is. This is the main keep. It's primarily a military fortress. It was built during the warring states period."

Ulissis' eyes lit up at the mention of that period. "That's when your entire clan fell apart, correct?"

"That's correct." He took them up some stone stairs. "All nine branches were fighting for control over Kyuu Seishin. In the end, we kitsune won. The other eight branches were forced to live with that outcome, especially the tanuki." He came to a stop. "Here we are."

The entire floor was nothing but tatami mats, there weren't even walls separating the giant space into rooms. It reminded me a lot of back home.

"Let's begin the first match," Haroun said, making his way to the center of the wide room.

"Wait!" a girl called out. A pink-haired girl rushed past us and Ms. Key. She panted, catching her breath. "We...would like to see the match."

Haroun swept his hair back, shaking his head. "Lucette, don't you ever learn?"

"That's just the way she is," a voice called out. A girl holding a book appeared seated behind the two boys. She smiled and waved at us.

Lei and I held back shrieks. "Where did you come from?" Lei asked.

"You... you aren't a ghost, are you?" I asked.

She snickered. "I was hiding my presence. Nice to meet you all."

"Nice to see you again, Vita," Hal said, smirking.

Vita put down her book on her knees and smiled. "Little Hal."

My teammate's usual smile devolved into a scowl as his face became red. Needles appeared in his hands. "Don't call me that."

"He sounds like Eien," Ayawamat said snickering.

She snickered cutely. "Yeah, yeah. So, did you make it to the top eight?"

Hal nodded. "I did, just like you did two years ago. And just like you, I'll be the champion of this class."

Haroun lowered his head.

Vermeil patted his shoulder. "Don't worry, Brother, I'm sure that you can defeat her now."

He grumbled. "No, I can't." He glanced at his teammates. "Nor can our Kyuu Seishinian teammates."

Vermeil looked down. "I lost against Hal too. 2-0, that's our score against Hoin."

"Anyway, we'll be beginning with Lei versus Nahimana," Koukyuu said, sitting down next to Vita as the rest continued to pack into the room.

Nahimana looked down. "I... think that it'll be better if I don't participate."

Koukyuu nodded. "That might be for the best. Actually, I'll like for Zelde, Wanikiya, and you to go to the living quarters and locate my older brother. He can help you three with your spirits." She glanced at her younger nephew. "Eien, please escort them to see your father."

"Why me? Have Boukyaku do it!" the second prince said, crossing his arms over his chest.

She crossed her arms and stared at his icy-blue eyes. "You want me to tell your father what happened on the ship?"