[Revised/Edited] Episode 14: Child of the Stars

"Lights glimmer in the pitch black sky, lighting it so that it may no longer be as dark."

[Night before the test- around the same time Sarah and co. arrived at the inn in Stella]

*Yuzuki*

I panted as I made my way to the train station. I hadn't even taken the time to move my long red bangs from my eyes for fear of being further late. Maybe this was bad karma for always making fun of Lei's tardiness.

I had to make it to Lux on time to help the various students coming from abroad to take the upcoming test. It was my duty as one of the second-year representatives.

The inside of the train station was full with people heading back home from work or university.

I reached one of the terminals and scanned my card to open it. Thankfully, the train hadn't gone on yet. Maneuvering through the crowd, I made sure not to bump into anyone, especially the kids which were harder to see.

After what felt like an eternity, I made it inside the train going to Lux, and even managed to find myself a seat by the doors. Sighing, I took a seat as the doors closed behind me.

The train was designed to move rapidly to accommodate those without magic powers, or those with insufficient knowledge of magic, and those who were lacking in prana for whatever reason. The train itself was made out of materials with high prana concentrations mixed with more mundane elements like aluminum, steel, and copper.

I glanced outside, in awe as things outside became a complete blur. Could this be how Hika felt when speeding up time? Although, he rarely used that aspect of his time magic. He preferred freezing or slowing time down more rather than speeding it up. Perhaps as he knew how precious it was.

Fifteen minutes later, the train stopped at Port Sky on the southeastern side of the big island. It was the third biggest city in all of Wahkan after the capital and Stella.

"Excuse me, can I sit here?" someone called out. Before me stood a handsome white-haired boy with grayish lavender eyes and a familiar face.

"Sure," I responded, putting my stuff on my lap to give him some space.

"Thanks," he said, smiling. He sat down and opened up a thick book.

I had no idea why he would take the time to read a book when we would arrive in Lux city in under ten minutes. Especially a cookbook of all things.

The boy lowered his book and smiled nervously. "Is something wrong?"

"Huh?" I asked, raising my head.

"You've been watching me read for a while now. Do you want to check it out yourself?"

I laughed, embarrassed. Hopefully, he didn't think I was weird or anything. "Ah, sorry. I was just wondering what was so interesting about a cookbook."

"Oh, that. I'm trying to memorize some recipes." He tilted his head and laughed. "I have to take care of myself from now on, so I better start learning." He moved on to the next page. He touched his stomach. It rumbled, so he quickly closed the book. "Perhaps I shouldn't read this while I'm on an empty stomach."

I raised a hand to my mouth to repress a giggle.

The train came to a sudden stop causing the boy's book to go flying toward the crowd of passengers who had to stand up due to lack of seats. Holding my hand out, I warped it to my hands using spatial magic. Good thing it worked. Some places didn't allow for magic. Or maybe the magic jamming charms on the train didn't account for space magic. It and time were rather rare to have.