82

After hours and hours of waiting a doctor finally comes out. I was losing hope but my mom helped me remember that she can't be dead if there is still people in there.

"Mr. Beckham, your wife and the baby are in distress, we cannot leave the baby in her much longer...however our only option is a emergency C-section which will cause your wife to bleed out, and I know you don't want to hear this but we need you to make a choice because as soon as we start cutting your wife is gone." The doctor says. This is bullshit I can't pick between my wife and my child.

I cannot live without my wife, and if I were to pick her she would never forgive me for that decision. I would never forgive myself either because the guilt would eat me alive.

"Look I can't choose, you can't ask me to choose between them two...I need you to do everything you can, I don't care if you have to charge me millions of dollars for whatever would save them both but just save them! The both of them...I can't go back to my kids without their mother." I say. I don't know what to do anymore because this is such a painful thing to hear. 

"Sir, we are trying are best.." the doctor starts. "DAMNIT TRY HARDER!" I yell as I hit a wall. "Sir I need you to calm down.." the doctor says. I can't calm down I feel rage inside of me. I'm so frustrated with this news it's so different.

"Odell!" I hear Ayesha Curry call me. I turn around and she gives me a hug. "Look Odell I'm scared too, because that's my bestfriend and my niece or nephew in there and I know that it's difficult to hear a doctor ask you to pick between your wife or child because what kind of sick scum of the earth would do that? But I also know that your wife would not want you out here acting like this, she would want you to make sure you're okay because God forbid something happens to her, you are going to have four children that are going to need a father because their mother lost the battle for her life." Ayesha says. I just cry into her shoulder because I can't say anything else. I have a lump in my throat and therefore I know speaking is not my best bet.

"Odell..." Ayesha says as we sit down. "Yeah?" "What happened.." "she has pre-eclampsia...I don't even know what if is, I been researching it online and all I see is how high the death rate is. I can't have that..." I say. "Calm down please. How's your kids?" She asks me. "Well they're fine, I wanted to have them here with me but my mom and Alexis mom don't think it's a good idea." I reply.

"I'll get them here if that's alright with you? They'll make you feel better." She says. "Alright." I reply. It's not that I don't want to see my children but I just don't have the energy.

"Steph will be here soon he's in the cafeteria so I'll be back in about 30 minutes with the children." Ayesha says. "Thank you." I say as she begins to walk away.

A few minutes later Steph comes up with two coffees and hands me one. "How you doing brother?" He asks me. "I don't know." I reply. "How's Alexis?" He asks me. "These doctors full of shit...they ain't trying to save her...or my baby." I say.

"Come on man, they trying they best." Steph says. "Whatever...Yesha bringing my kids though so that's good." I say. "She told me, you don't seem to happy." He says. To any normal person that statement would offend but I know Steph and I know what he means and he ain't trying to be mean, plus he like one of my closest friends so he can say whatever he wants.

"I am, I just need an update on my wife." I say. "I'll go see what I can find out.." Steph says. "Alright thanks man." I say as he gets up to search for a doctor. We had this part of the hospital shut down for reasons of not letting press in to disrespect an actual medical emergency.

"Daddy!" I hear Mackenzie yell. I look up and see Ayesha walking towards me with my babies. Kenzie runs to me and I engulf her little self into a hug. "You alright?" I ask her. "Yeah how's mommy?" She asks me as her and Sonny crowd around me.

"I don't know, she's in surgery." I say. I then think about it and decide to not be so honest with them because I don't want to scare them. "You know you're mom though she's going be alright.." I say.

"So how are y'all behaving?" I ask. "We been good..." Sonny says. Ayesha hands me Ava who is being hyper already as always because all she's doing is calling out 'dadadada!'

She's just recently turning three and she's a ball of energy she's not to much to handle though. Somehow me and Alexis got blessed with good children and I'm so grateful because I don't have the brain capacity for an over active child right now.

My kids made me forget about Alexis for a few minutes though, I don't know how but kids have that kind of joy.

"Feeling better?" Ayesha asks me. "Yeah thanks." I say. "Y'all okay with staying here tonight with me?" I ask them. "Here in the hospital? We can sleep here?" Sonny asks me. "Of course people sleep here why do you think they have beds everywhere!" Kenzie replies to him. "Not quiet but we do have the room Lex was in before they took her to a top secret spot."  I say. They have couches and an extra bed in there because this is the VIP wing of the hospital, I didn't want anyone in my wife's business so it's worth the price.

"When can I see mommy?" Kenzie asks me. "In a little bit, what you need to talk to her about?" I ask her playfully. "Uhm about the baby!" She replies. "What about the baby?" I ask. "What are we going to name it!?" Kenzie asks. "I hope it's a boy!" Sonny yells.

"I don't know, we ain't think all that through yet." I say to them. "We don't know if you guys going have a little sister or brother though." I say. "Doesn't matter to me!" Kenzie says. "Why?" I ask her.

"Because imma love em anyway!" She replies. This makes my hear smile because she's such a sweet girl.

Anyways after a while with no news all of my kids start dropping like flies. Steph and Ayesha help me carry them to the hospital room where I set them down on one of the beds and I leave Ava in the stroller. I then take the chance to jump on the couch and just wait. I was alone with my kids at the hospital now. Ayesha offered to take them but they helped me to feel better so I kept them around.