43

Odell's Pov

I've been here with Alexis for almost three days...I took a shower this morning after my mom brought me clothes. However I haven't eaten much except some crackers and water. I haven't had an appetite at all and it's not coming back to me either way.

Alexis is still unresponsive and by now I'm desperate I've yelled at almost 5 hospital staff members because they aren't doing anything. Everyone keeps saying telling that she's going to be fine but I don't know...

She's been unresponsive for three days, no involuntary movements, no nothing. Her hand is starting to feel cold to the touch and it frightens me more everyday because that's not normal. I've missed practices...I'm going to miss my game today but I released a public statement saying that due to family complications I'm not going to be playing until further notice.

I barely even look at my phone I'm kind of here like a zombie just sitting in my thoughts growing more bitter by the moment. I heard my phone ringing so I grabbed it off the charger and I answered it. It's probably my mom calling for an update.

"Hey Dell I'm really sorry about Alexis..." I hear Tabatha say. "Don't ever call me again." I say. "Why not?" She asks me. "Because of you I'm sitting in a hospital with the love of my life...you ruined my life and I don't want to hear from you ever again Tabatha so I hope you understand where I'm coming from when I tell you that I'm done with this shit..." I say to her. I hang up and then I block her number.

I finally decide to take the phone that the doctors gave me which was found at the crash sight. It was Alexis's phone and the screen was shattered but it still worked. I turned it on and I checked the messages that allegedly distracted her. I saw a bunch of pictures of screenshots that were of someone pretending to text me. I saw the number was Tabatha and of course I'm not surprised at this shit. I grab the phone and I throw it across the room. This bullshit could possibly take away my wife.

A few more days went by and now we are at day 8. I haven't left her side and I'm trying not to lose faith but the longer she's asleep the more I worry will she be like this forever. According to the doctor the brain swelling is almost gone. Most of her cuts are also healing but I still haven't seen her eyes in over a week. I've stopped crying but that's just because I've cried to much, I don't have any tears left.

I was sitting holding Alexis's hand like usual and I felt her squeeze it, not a hard squeeze but it was a gentle squeeze with enough pressure for me to feel it. I guess this is an improvement however I've heard that people in a coma do that without actually being alive.

I waited day after day...now we are at day 10. I was at my usually spot by her bed when it happened. Her eyes gently twitched and then a few short moments later her eyes opened. She looked around confused which is expected but when her eyes landed on me I was like a foreign object to her she.

"Wait here I'm going get a doctor." I say as I run out to tell someone, anyone! My wife is okay she's going to be okay! She opened her eyes and now maybe things can go back to normal.

A few seconds later a doctor and two nurses rush in. They take Alexis off to run tests and I text her family to let them know that she's back. I think I just needed to confirm it was true because I'm in shock. I was actually expecting the worst but I guess things will be okay!

When everyone got here the doctor pulled me out of the room since I'm her caretaker since we are married. "Okay sir she's suffered a huge concussion and she doesn't remember the last 2 years of her life. So she might not remember a lot of things, it will eventually come back to her, we hope." He says to me. This made my face fall...I've only known her for a year...that means she might not remember me.

I tell everyone and a few minutes later they wheel her in. She looks extremely confused still and I wouldn't blame her. "Mom...who are all these people?" She asks referring to me and the doctors. "Look I know you're confused right now but you were in a bad accident, you don't remember a lot so I'm going to give your family time to catch you up." The doctor says.

"Maybe I should go.." I say trying to hold my tears in. "No Odell stay...at least talk to her..you both deserve that." Aaleeyah says. "There is no point she doesn't remember me." I say as one warm tear trickles down my cheek.

"Who is he?" Alexis asks and that's like a punch to the gut to actually here her bluntly admit she has no idea who I am. "Well I was your boyfriend.." I say trying to not push it with the husband part.

"No, I don't think so...after Christian I don't remember getting a boyfriend." She says. "Well you don't remember me, I'm sorry I'll get going." I say awkwardly. "You guys call if she needs anything." I say as I walk out with my head down. I pull my hoodie over my head and I walk out of the hospital. I hop in my car and I drive home. I speed home not noticing anyone else is on the road..

When I arrive to the house the first thing I see is a picture of me and Alexis. I can't begin to describe how much it hurts to know that she doesn't recognize me. All our real life love is gone, it doesn't exist as if it went through a black hole.

I couldn't handle it anymore I punched a hole in the wall. Actually I punched about three holes. I had tears running down my face and I was exhausted. I just wanted my baby..I wasn't asking for much...the only thing that I wanted the accident took.

I collapsed on the couch and I fell asleep. I tried not to think about the pain anymore. I didn't want to talk about it. I got a bunch of texts from her family saying it's okay. It wasn't for me! For them maybe but not for me the guy she married.

I threw my phone and it flew about 20 feet until it hit a wall. It hit the floor with a thud so I don't think it broke but I didn't care at all.

I was able to sleep until the next day and I woke up to my phone ringing from the floor. I got up and I saw it was Allen, Alexis's dad, so I answered.

"Hey, look Odell, I'm sorry about what's going on but you need to come see her and talk to her, just try to help her remember, she still thinks she's 19 about to be 20, just trust me." He says. "I'll do what I can sir." I reply. He hangs up and I try to process everything.

I decided to go and get Alexis a new phone and I made arrangements with her parents that they are going to put her back in her old apartments so we aren't forced to stay together.

"Thank you son." He replies and hangs up. I don't want to go see her. It's like stabbing me and twisting the knife having her back. She is moving back with her parents for a while they texted it to me and I'm not surprised it's not like she'd agree to go live with me when she doesn't know me. I'm actually glad because I can't face her and have her here and not be able to hug or kiss her because she doesn't think of me that way.

Jarvis called me a few times and I finally decided to answer and tell him what's going on. "Hey man Alexis alright?" He asks me. "Yeah she's fine I guess, she don't remember me or anything that happened in the last two years." I say. "Are you sure? Have you talked to her?" He asks me. "Yeah I did she told me herself..as soon as she saw me her exact words were who are these people.." I say to him. "Dell I'm sorry, but you know she's going to be alright things going work out, they might not but be thankful that she's still alive." He says to me. "Alright I gotta go." I say. I hang up the phone and I start to think about what Jarvis said. I would have to disagree with him.

A part of her did die, the Alexis that I knew, my Alexis. I know it sounds selfish but I don't know what else to say. It's not fair to me, but I guess it's better then having her completely gone.

I grabbed my stuff and I went out, I took one of my cars and drove to the hospital. I wasn't sure what I would say or do but something is better than nothing. At least know she's okay might make me feel better.

I felt my phone ring and I answered it just because. The car picked it up so I heard Aaleeyah's voice boom through the car. "Odell, how you holding up?" She asks me. "I'm fine, everything is fine." I reply. "Look I told Alexis about you...I told her you guys had a special relationship, I didn't release any details like the wedding or anything since I didn't see the ring so yeah, she has a huge gash on her ring finger anyways so she doesn't notice the tattoo. However it will heel so maybe you should tell her." She says. "Look I'll handle it, it'll be fine." I say trying to convince myself of this. "Alright I'll see you soon." She says. "Bye." I say and she hangs up.