42

Odell's Pov

"Okay guys we are almost done just finish off the drill and you guys can shower off." Coach says to us because we are at our practice for our game on Sunday.

I look over and see two staff members talking to coach and he looks directly at me. "Odell come here." He yells at me. I run over to them dropping the football. "Your family has been calling nonstop for the past 10 minutes they need you to call them back now your mother said it's an emergency." One of the staffers says to me. "Odell go ahead." Coach says. My mind starts racing thinking about possible scenarios so I run to the locker at full speed. I reach my stuff and I see a weird number calling me. It hangs up as soon as I reach my phone but I noticed I have 3 missed calls from the number. They call back again in less than a minute so it must be important.

"Hello is this Odell Beckham, husband of Alexis Beckham?" A lady asks. I feel my hands start to tremble because that isn't something anyone would normally ask. "Yes ma'am, what's going on?" I ask frustrated trying to figure out what's the big secret everyone has going on.

"Your wife has been in a motor vehicle accident and she's at the hospital receiving emergency care as we speak." The operator says. "What do you mean an accident? What happened?" I ask as I feel myself being crushed inside.

"A car hit her from the left direction and her car was found on the side of the road completely totaled, and your wife was found unresponsive." She says. "Where is she what hospital?" I ask barely being able to for words. The lady gives me the address and I grab my keys and I run to my car.

I drive like a speed demon down the streets trying to reach the hospital, when I arrive I see some of her family.

"How is she?" I ask Amir. "I don't know they won't say, she's in surgery right now.." he says to me. "She's going to be okay though right?" I ask. "The doctor won't say.." Amir says. I go over to her parents and I say hi to them and then we all sit down to just wait...

"What happened to Alexis?" I ask her mom. "According to the police report she was distracted by a text from someone named Tabatha and she wasn't paying attention to move out of the car who hit her way so her car flipped over and landed in a ditch. I saw her car it looks like there were no survivors." She says. She wipes a few tears from her eyes.

I grab my phone and I call my mom back because she called me a few times.

"Hey honey how is she?"she asks me. "I don't know I just got here, they saying she's in surgery.." I say trailing off. "I'm sorry honey...I'm trying to take the first flight out there, I'll be there in an hour or two." She says to me. "Uh...alright mom I'll talk to you later." I say because I'm not in the mood to talk I kind of just want to sit in my own thoughts.

My phone ringed again and this time it was Aaleeyah so I answered because that's her friend. She would probably want to know what's going on. "Odell is she okay? How is Alexis? Why didn't you call me sooner?" She basically yells through the phone. "Aaleeyah calm down, I just got here they haven't said anything." I reply. "That's my best friend! What do you mean calm down?! My best friend was in a fucking accident and no one has news on how she is!" Aaleeyah yells and I know she's hurting because I am to. "Look if I hear anything I'll call you okay?" I say so I can hang up. "Alright.."she says and I hang up on her.

I sit for hours and hours at the waiting room receiving so many calls and texts that my phone died. My mom is here in the waiting room with me and all of us are quiet just waiting for the news on Alexis. Every time a doctor walks by you can hear us holding our breaths waiting to see if they have anything to say to us.

"Man why won't anyone tell me how my daughter is?" Her dad yells. "Sir calm down she is still in surgery.." they say. "So no type of update on her? What kind of doctors are you guys?" Her dad keeps going. "Al calm down please." Alexis's mom says. She and my mom have been talking for a while now and now I'm here with Steph who trying to get me to relax.

Finally when a doctor comes out from the room we all stand up to talk to him. "So what is it Doctor?" I ask finally. "Well she fractured her skull and has a lot of neural swelling, she has a few broken bones, a huge cut on her face, and her hands were full of glass, and she basically tore one of her knees apart, we have a lot of flesh wounds everywhere also which most needed stitches but she will be out of danger if and when she wakes up." Hey doctor says. "What do you mean by if and when?" Her dad asks. "If she does wake up because like I said we can't measure her brain injuries or the swelling it caused and if it caused any damage.." the doctor says. "So she's in a coma?" I ask. "Kind of she's just unresponsive.." he replies. "So a coma...?" I ask again. "I guess so but trust me she will be okay I've seen this a few times." He says to me. My whole world came crashing down on me because literally I planned to spend my life with her and we've had so little time and now she's balancing life and death...all of Tabatha's damn fault because I know Alexis probably going to be okay because that's my girl and I can't imagine life without my wife...

"Can we go in and see her?" I ask. "Yeah sure please go right ahead." He says to me. I walk in the room with everyone trailing behind. When I walk in I see her broken body laying in sleep infront of me. I'm beyond scared right now and she looks so weak.

I look on the side table and I see her wedding ring. I grab it and place it in my pocket. After that I take her hand and I kneel before the hospital bed. I begin crying my eyes out. I tried to hold it in but I couldn't. This was my wife...the first person to ever make me happy...I don't know why things happen but I wish I could change everything.

I feel someone patting me on the back and I hear Ms.Melissa, Alexis's mom talking to me. "Look everything's going to be okay...she's a strong one I promise." She says to me. I nod in response. It might seem weak for me to be broken down crying but this is my wife and I don't care what anyone says I am hurting right now.

Almost an hour went by and I was still here on my knees with tears rolling down my cheeks. Everyone was here piling in waiting to here the results and to see if they could get anything else from the doctors.

At night time everyone decided to go home and I told her parents they could go because I was going to stay with her. They nurse brought me some food although I haven't eaten all day I couldn't even take half a bite from anything. My stomach was in knots and my body was far to upset to eat anything. They only thing I wanted was for Alexis to open her eyes.

She didn't show any sign of movement however when the nurses came they always said she was doing fine but I don't believe them. She wasn't doing fine she was in a fucking coma! How the hell is that fine?

"Heyy.." I hear someone say. I turn around and I see Alexis's big sister Aaliyah. "Hey." I reply. "Are you alright?" She asks me. "Not really.." I reply getting off the floor. She walks towards me and engulfs me in a hug. "I've never seen anyone care about my sister so much, I'm so happy she met you and I know it's tough but all we can do is hope she'll be okay...just breath.."she says as she rubs my back.

"Come on pray with me." She says. I nod and she gets down on her knees and I copy her actions. I put my hands together and then I shut my eyes.

"Dear God, I know it's been a while and I don't want to seem like all I do is ask but today my sister was in an accident...if it's your will please let her be okay...because we aren't ready for her to go...she has to much to do God. I just want her to be okay. Thank you God, amen." She says. "Look I'm just stopping by because my daughter is with a baby sitter but call me if you need anything please?" She says. I nod and then I help her up.

She leaves and then I walk over to the couch they have here. I grab the bottle of water they brought me hours ago. I open it and I take a sip and I realize how dry my mouth was. For some reason I didn't notice it today.

I went to sleep on the couch and I didn't notice how uncomfortable it was. I was exhausted and I didn't care anymore. I don't want comfort I just wanted my wife...repetitive I know but that's the only thing I want. I want to wake up to a face full of her hair...I want to come home to her singing off key to the radio...I want to see her smile every time she sees me...I just want her to be okay.