44

I walked into the hospital almost dragging out my steps I was terrified to go to her hospital room. What would I say to her? I don't have any answers. While I was walking I saw the doctor walk by so I stopped him.

"Look Mr. Beckham, I understand your situation is tough but just push through with her it will slowly come back to her I have hope that the part of her brain in charge of memory will heal completely fine." He says. "Alright doc, do you know how long it might take?" I ask him. "No I can't say, it could come back in a week, a month, maybe even a year." He says. This basically crushed me but I smiled and kept it moving. I walked over to her room nervously and then I knocked on the door. Mostly of her family was here not surprising.

"Guys let's clear the room." Her dad says. They all walk out past me and I walk in. Her eyes focus on me and her expression is blank. She doesn't feel a thing and I'm over here about to break down. She is sitting up with her mouth slightly open as if she wanted to say something.

"Hey I know you don't know me...and yeah that's it I have nothing else to say..I don't know what to say.." I say softly. "You! You are the voice I kept hearing when I was asleep...or in the coma or whatever you want to call it, you were talking to me!" She says. "Yeah that's me.." I say quietly.

"Soooo Aaleeyah told me we had a relationship, I don't remember it, I'm sorry but can you tell me about it maybe I'll remember something.." she says slowly. "Alright but here I got your phone fixed." I say as I hand her the phone. "Uhm thank you.." she says quietly. "Come on sit down let's talk...I know it's probably weird.." she says. I sit on the chair near her bed and I stare at her. "What do you want to know?" I ask.

"Everything..." she replies. "I think it's a lot but I'll try." I reply. "Okay how did we meet?" She asks. "At a coffee shop, you ate like 5 cinnamon buns and you had a bad attitude, and refused to give me your number." I reply.

"Wow I guess it sounds like me...but not the having a boyfriend part not after...nevermind..."she says. "Christian? Yeah you told me.." I say but I don't want to elaborate that's the last thing I want to talk about today.

"Wow this is cute.." she says as she shows me her phones home screen which was a picture of me and her. "Yeah that was when I got injured Aaleeyah took that picture of us cuddling on my bed." I say. "Oh wow are you okay?" She asks me. "I'm fine, it was a long time ago." I reply. "So uhm you're a football player right Odell Beckham Jr?" She asks me. "Yes that's me.." I reply. "Oh wow okay." She replies.

"I play for the giants." I say and it's weird having to introduce myself to my own wife. "Sooo how long were we together?" She asks. "A little over a year.." I reply. "Oh that's a long time, and I don't remember any of it.."she says trailing off. "Yeah but it's alright." I reply. "No but were we in love..? Was it a weird relationship or what was it?" She asks me.

"I guess I was in love, I thought you were to, I thought we were going to be together forever, buy a nice house, have 10 babies, the whole 9 yards." I say. "Well my parents told me about our dog Santa! I can't wait to see him." She says. "I also can't believe I own a studio with Aaleeyah and all of that, but they suggested I talk time off work, but then they told me I was also building a spa so I want to worry about that!" She says and this sounds like Alexis, always talking about work.

"Yeah I don't think that's a good idea." I reply. "No? So what do you suggest I do?" She asks me sarcastically. "Just focus on yourself for a little, maybe we can go out sometime in the in between time." I say trying to see if we have a shot. She smiles and then flinches because of some of the scars that are healing on her face.

"Well who said I want to go meet up with you? Maybe you were a bad boyfriend! Why should I?" She asks me playfully. "Wow, you've always been like this.." I say. "I'll stop, but yeah I think thats a good idea, I don't promise to go back to our old relationship though because I don't remember it, but we can try to start over..if you want." She says. This crushes me because I realize that this is a totally new person she literally has no idea who I am so I mean nothing to her.

"I think I can live with that." I say carefully. "So why did I like you anyways?" She asks me. "Lots of reasons, we just clicked." I say. I notice I'm still wearing my ring so I take it off and slip it into my pocket without her noticing. "What else should I know?" She asks me. "I don't know, a lot I guess but I'd rather take it day by day." I say. "How about this tattoo on my ring finger what does it say?" She asks me. I look at her ring finger and I notice she can't read it because it's still healing. "It's just the number 13, you wanted us to get a promise ring so you got the number 13 since it's my jersey number." I reply.

"Wow so it was serious.."she says almost shocked. "Yeah it got pretty serious." I reply. "I want to leave." She says to me. "Like the hospital?" I ask. "Yeah I want to go, it's cold here." She says. "I'll see if I can talk to the doctor." I say. "Alright thank you." She says. I walk out and I ask the nurses. They tell me they want to keep her over night to monitor her.

When I walk back I notice all her family left. I guess they wanted to give us some space. I don't mind it though I think our talk went better than I expected but it's not what I wanted but it's better than nothing.

I walk back into her room and I find her looking through her phone. "Hey Odell." She says. It sounds so weird when she says my name with no emotion almost.

"Is the contact that says 'babe' with a heart and a ring your number right?" She asks me. "Yeah it is." I reply. "Okay so I'll call you, but what did they say?" She asks me. "They said you can leave tomorrow, they want to keep you here for observing your injuries for tonight." I say. "Aw, okay." She says. "Can you stay here? I know it's a lot but I don't want to stay alone." She says. "Yeah okay sure I can do that." I reply.

I settle down back in the chair and I guess this is a start. She starts talking and we have a pretty good conversation. I'm basically getting to know her all over again, just a little different because I know most of these things that she doesn't remember at all.

---

When I woke up I found Alexis hoping around on one foot it took everything in me not to rush to her side. "Good morning I didn't want to wake you." She says as she sits on the bed. So unlike Alexis who never lets me sleep but whatever.

"Goodmorning how's your knee?" I ask her. "I'm fine I'm high up on pain killers." She replies. "Please just stay in bed I'll do whatever you need." I say. "I'm fine I'm just waiting for my sister Amiya who is coming to get me to drive me to my parents." She replies. "Oh okay well whenever she comes just know you can call me if you need anything." I say. "Don't worry I'll make sure to message you." She says to me. "I hope so." I say as I rub my temples.

"I've been thinking, and I decided maybe we should get to know each other better before we decide anything because honestly I don't know if I'm at a point in life that I need someone." She says to me and it makes sense because of course she's not 100 percent my Alexis but I can deal with this, if she's still the same girl this should be easy to win her heart, but this is like having a dead spouse, I'm a widow starting fresh.

I don't plan on telling her about us being married just yet. I think I'm going to hold off until the moment is right because that's not something you can just flat out say to someone.

Her sister came and I helped them down and go get Alexis in the car and I guess she looked okay. I wanted to kiss her...her cheek, her lip, he forehead...something I was craving for her skin. However I was able to suppress my urges so I went home. I don't think I can stay in this house much longer though, it's got Alexis written all over it.

I called my mom and asked her to rent me a place because I didn't want to keep living here until I'm with Alexis, it's to painful it feels like she died, but worse because now I know she's alive, just not with me.

I didn't find any use for this big house anyways, the whole plan was to live there with Alexis, and have a bunch of kids but that's not happening anytime soon.

My mom found me an apartment and I guess that will work for now. It's a nice place and the lease is a 6 month lease so at least it's a short one, I'll be able to figure out what I'm going to do in that time. I also plan on playing a football game next Sunday since I have no excuse to not play now. Everyone was understanding but I need to distracted now I can be thinking about all these problems now.