Chapter 100: Winning

Start from the beginning

"Why me?" he said.

I grabbed his arm. "You're my fiancé, remember? You have a duty to provide for your future wife."

"What? What's with that old way of thinking? You can pay for your own stuff. Besides, you're a ethnic Xianian! You girls are the ones who are supposed to pay for your boyfriends and soon to be husbands," he said, his face red.

"What's with that old fashioned way of thinking?" I said, mockingly as I let go of him.

He snickered. "Doesn't feel nice, huh?"

I simply glared at him.

Several people were staring at us. He sighed and walked over to the stall. "I'll like two baked chicken breasts."

"You're a foreigner," the red-haired girl said.

"That's right," Hikaru said. "How did you guess?"

"Two baked chicken breasts, right?" said Yuuta Akiyama. I had seen him talking to Nyima nearly as often as I saw Ren talk to Adela.

"That's right," Hikaru said. He smiled. "Please make them fast, because this girl here might eat all your food in a rush."

"I wouldn't be surprised," the red haired girl said in a bitter tone.

Whats up with her?

Yuuta pulled his classmate away from the cash register. "Focus on getting us more customers. We can't hope to defeat Nobuyuki and Mayu like this."

Nobuyuki, Mayu... Now those are the names of those other suspects.

I grabbed Hikaru's arm. "Hey," I said. "On second thought perhaps we should go someplace else."

"Why? Uh... do you think that these two..."

"Maybe," I whispered.

"You two make such a cute couple," Yuuta said as he received two chicken breasts from another classmate. He wrapped the two of them in wax paper. "Here you go, two baked chicken breasts."

"Cute?" I said, feeling my face reddened. Do we really look cute together? Wait, why do I care? I don't like Hikaru like that!

Hikaru paid for the chicken, seeing no way of taking back our order now that it was complete.

I blew gently on my chicken breast. I wasn't sure if I should eat it before, but Yuuta didn't strike me as a bad person. He seemed uncomfortable around his classmate who seemed suspicious of us too!

"Blow harder," Hikaru said, blowing on my chicken.

"Give me yours," I said, glaring at him.

"Huh?"

"You blew your germs onto mine." I snatched his chicken breast and bit into it.

"Wait, I already bit into that one!"

I continued eating it anyways. I was too hungry to care. It was flavorful, something that can't always be said about chicken breasts which tended to lack the taste that other parts of the chicken had.

Hikaru offered me the other chicken breast. "Here, have this one too."

I glared at him. "You aren't thinking that they might be poisoned, are you?" I took the chicken breast anyways. "If that's the case I guess it would be better if only one of us is affected."

"Well it's too late, I did eat part of the one you just ate after all. I just thought that you might still be hungry even after seeing you devour your food like that."

I turned away. Hikaru was an awful fiancé, mocking the way his fiancée ate like that. Might as well say what he thinks out loud, instead of implying it. I couldn't believe that we were expected to marry and conceive child in a couple of years. We were only first in high school for crying out loud! What in the world was my grandfather thinking?

"Woah," Hikaru said. He took out some money and handed it to me. "Use that to buy food. I will be over here." He went over to a stand where one has to throw some rings into a glass bottle. The more rings one can get into a bottle, the better the final prize. Hitting the ones at the center of the arrangement would garner the most points.

My stomach rumbled so I left Hikaru playing the glass bottle game. I wondered what he saw that had gotten him so excited.

Some time later I sat down to enjoy my stash of food.

"Sorry for keeping you waiting," Hikaru said when he finally returned, half of his face covered by a shark mask. He was hiding something behind his back.

I put down my bag of cotton candy. "Did you win anything?"

He showed off a rabbit shaped necklace.

I snatched it and held it up against the sky. "Thank you. Why did you get me this, though?"

"I heard you talking to Nyima the other day. You wanted some hairpins like her's. I couldn't get enough points to get them so I had to settle for this."

"How much did you spend to get this?"

He took out an empty wallet. "About twenty Ciels."

I unlocked the chain of the necklace. "You should have just bought one, I don't think that this is worth more than twenty dollars."

He grumbled. "If you don't like it then I'll just take it. I'm sure that one of the other girls would like it."

I locked the chain and got up. "It's fine." My face became red. "I don't mind the thought you put into it." His face became as red as mine.

He ruffled his messy brown hair. "That's great, but if you don't really like it then I can just sell it," he said with silly grin. "By the way, it looks really good on you."

"Hikaru..."

"Hey!" Hal yelled. "I finally found you two."

Hikaru and I moved away from one another. "Uh, did you find out anything on Iah and Arima's battle?" Hikaru asked.

He looked down. "It seems that Youko tried to kill Iah and Arima. I didn't hear much else."

Hikaru and I gasped.

"So, they were willing to go that far after all," I said. I turned around. "We have to return. The others probably already returned to our food stand."

I wished that we had the chance to enjoy more of the festival than we did, but it was time for us to return to our stations. The others would need all the help they could get as the late shift settled in. But more importantly, they needed to know what happened to Iah and Arima.

**Solar Note: What did you think of the 'date'? Are you glad that there was a break between all the fighting and training? Did the chapter make you like Hikaru and Yen better? Also, what did you think about their 'situation'?**