Chapter 86: Investigation

"The rattle snake that wanted to become a dragon"

Previously on Novus Magus: Nyima and Iah were attacked by a girl in red the previous day. Now, while the rest of my class continues to work on the preparations for the upcoming festival, Vermeil and I are to set out on a missing to find out what became of Renshu- Hal

*Hal*

After school, I waited patiently in the plaza for Vermeil.

"Take care," An said as he and Vermeil returned. He carried a bucket of green paint for the second years to paint the float's leaves.

"You too," Vermeil said, giving him a flirty wave.

I stood up. "How did the little date go?"

An's face flushed as red as a tomato. "Date? Wha... what do you mean?"

"Ignore him," Vermeil said, throwing me a dirty glare.

The psychic mage ran on ahead.

"So, how did it go? Has he remembered you yet?"

Vermeil shook her head. "It appears he hasn't. Being close to him is enough for me."

I grinned. "Ah, but you better hurry. You got several rivals."

"You mean your teammates? An has barely met them. They're no match for me."

I snickered. "Is that so? Love at first-sight cases do exist in real life, you know? Also, there's his childhood friend, Ning. I wonder what kind of relationship they have."

Vermeil flipped her hair back. "You can really be annoying sometimes, you know that?"

I tried to contain my laughter. "I'm only speaking the truth. Well, let's begin this mission."

Vermeil took out a pair of headphones. "I'll be here, on standby, go do your thing, 'Shadow Master'- Hal."

I sighed. "Don't say that out loud, I rather not have others discover my true identity."

"I'll be quiet from now on."

"I sure hope so." I closed my eyes. When I opened them I was no longer in the plaza but in the western region of the island. The land was rocky with cliffs overlooking the sea.  Sea birds flew around in the sky, occasionally blocking the sun out with their white wings. Apart from them, the area was barren compared to the verdant and lively central and eastern parts.

Ms. Key mentioned something about only some of the staff having access to the area, but who are they? Well, apart from her.

"Hal?" a familiar voice called out.

I turned around and saw Mr. Suzuran, my proctor during the exam. He was gathering what appeared to be bird droppings. Not sure whether or not I wished to learn such a potion.

"What are you doing here?" I said, making my way toward him.

"I was wondering the same about you," he said, putting away his priced collection of bird dung. "Is something the matter?"

Mr. Suzuran...he was the father of Mayu, one of the suspected masked ones. As such I knew that I had to figure out what he was doing this far out from the school grounds.

"Nothing at all. I came here to practice my magic."

"Really?" Mr. Suzuran said. He summoned a jade wand with a low-relief snake design. "If so, then how about I help you? I was thinking of testing out my magic too."

I summoned my wand and transformed it into a set of eight purple needles. This was the chance I was dreaming of, who knew that it would come so early?

"I would love to test my poisons out against the 'King of Poisons'."

Mr. Suzuran chuckled. He transformed his wand into a whip. "I wonder how much longer I'll be able to hold on to that title."

"Not for long, it'll be mine soon." I threw four of the needles at him. 

Mr. Suzuran smirked and whipped the four of them at once with ease. 

"Venenum Draconis!" I chanted. A purple liquid emerged from the four needles on the ground and enveloped them completely. The liquid took the form of a rattlesnake. The needles were stored within the 'rattle'.

Mr. Suzuran calmly walked up to the snake-like dragon. A blob of poison splatted the ground in front of him; With a single hit from his whip, the head had come off.

I channeled energy into the four needles remaining in my hand. The rattle of the dragon glowed and its head reformed.

"Release." The four needles within the rattle flew out of it. Once they were ten feet high in the air, they fell back down toward the ground.

Mr. Suzuran looked up and whipped the air above him, sending the needles flying into the beach. I called them back to my hand.

"You're still as amazing as the tales say," I said like some child meeting his idol, though I guess I was...

He looked down. "I'm not great. A great poison master should be able not only to make and manipulate lethal poisons but also the ability to cure others of those poisons if they so wish. Even the poisons of others should be no match for them. Though in reality, there are limits to our poison magic."

I threw my needles at him. He blocked them with ease despite having lowered his guard.

My smile from earlier had completely faded. "Limits are meant to be surpassed."

He nodded. "Yes, but not all limits can be surpassed. The sooner you realize this, the better. There is a teaching in the Xian clan that speaks of such limits."

"The Xian? You're aware of their teachings? They're an isolated country."

"I visited the country during my younger days. I befriended the husband of Priestess Nuying, Liang Mu."

"You met Adela's parents?"

"Adela? So my suspicions were accurate. Her skills at potion making are comparable to her late father's." He took out an old piece of snake tooth from his lab coat. "He and High Priestess Nuying assisted me in the capture of a rare snake. It was tough, but we managed to catch it." He smiled. "Back then we were your age."

"So you must be around 52, as they were 45 when they died seven years ago."

He nodded solemnly. "That's correct. I come from the same generation as the current rulers of three realms as well as the previous priestess'."

"You didn't get your title as 'King of Poisons' until ten years ago. Why did you last so long under the radar?"

"Sometimes you have to be patient. Titles and stuff like that are obtained through hard work, and that work last years. Not to mention, I had a wife and children to care for.

"Hal," Vermeil yelled. "Where are you?"

"I'm over here," I yelled out. I waved goodbye and started running toward the direction Vermeil's voice came from. "Sorry, Mr. Suzuran, I have to go."

He gave me a wink. "That's fine, don't keep your girlfriend waiting."

I scoffed and shrugged. "She's not my girlfriend. I got no time for stuff like romance if I want to become the greatest poison mage and more."

Mr. Suzuran chuckled. "Such an ambitious young man. Though, please keep that Xianian teaching in mind while aiming for the heavens. If you do then you'll certainly reach them."

**Solar Note: Did you enjoy hearing directly from Hal? Leave your comments on the page . Also, don't forget to vote :)**