[Revised/Edited] Episode 49: Furious Battles

- "Screams fill the air as armies march on one another, carrying their weapons and war banners up high. Each of them believing that victory will be theirs."

[Kitsune Palace- Living Quarters]

*Wanikiya*

I stood up from my bed and peered outside. Had the seal strengthening ritual succeeded? The Great Glacier's voice no longer echoed in my head, at least.

"Hey, you're finally awake," a voice called out. The door opened. It was Alban.

"What brings you here?" I asked. Out of all the people here, I wouldn't have expected a visit from him.

"Arima asked me to check up on you. She seems to have taken an interest in the spirits of you three."

"Really?

He laughed. "Yes, really. How do you feel?"

I raised my hands to my head. "I feel a lot better now, thanks for asking. How did the matches go?"

"Well, Nuk lost against An. Meanwhile, Ayawamat and Xue are still at it."

'Ayawamat... hope that he loses. He doesn't deserve to win.'

"Currently it seems like he'll win over Xue."

I gasped. "What?"

"Xue's having a hard time. I wouldn't be surprised if the match has already ended. Well, join us when you can! I'm going back now. Take it easy!" He turned around and rushed back to join the others.

"Alright," I said with a hint of sadness as I closed my icy blue eyes. I laid back down on the bed and covered my head with both my arms as if sleeping.

'Alban, he's a good guy... He deserves to be among us twenty more than I... What would happen if it got out that I had cheated someone out of a spot?'

"What worries you?" a voice asked. I looked up and saw Nahimana seated in front of the bed. She was here all of this time? Her mother must have taught her how to hide her presence well, as I failed to sense her even a little.

I laughed. "Are you worried about me?"

She lowered her head. "How could I not be?"

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make fun of you," I said, dropping my smile. I sighed. "It's just, I keep wondering if it's alright for me to be here. Lately, I've been feeling like a fraud and a villain."

Nahimana warped over to me and grabbed my right hand. "That's not true! Lord Wanikiya is a very nice young man. The fact that my lordship worries for those who didn't make it is proof enough of that."

I sighed. That didn't make what I did better. If anything, my worry was rooted in my guilty conscience, not because of any altruistic feelings I might harbor.

"Say. Did you enjoy kissing Zelde, Prince Wanikiya?"

My face flushed bright crimson. Why was she asking me that now? Only someone close to me would ask me questions out of the blue. Well, we were close, but she usually liked to keep a certain distance from me. She was not like Prince Eien who enjoyed getting into other people's business.

"I, uh, what does that have to do with anything?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest as I tried not to think about the kiss.

Nahimana leaned in closely. Her soft, supple lips pressed against mine for a brief moment.

"Sorry Lord Wanikiya, it seems that I've overstepped my position," she blurted out as she turned away. "I-I'll be going now!"

I just watched as she vanished into a cloud of smoke.