[Revised/Edited] Episode 30: Wishing for More

Start from the beginning

Mura ran into the dimly lit kitchen with a set of alphabet flashcards. "Yup!" She stopped running. Her pink eyes shifted toward the door. "Do you hear noises outside?"

The front door opened and in walked a black-haired man with pink eyes, and a woman with orange hair and blue eyes.

"You're early, did something happen?" I asked, furrowing my brows at my parents.

Our father glared at me. "It's none of your business, bug boy! Get out of my sight." His radiant eyes shifted toward the plates on the table. "Ah, you made potatoes with egg?" He walked into the kitchen and ate from the first plate he saw.

"That's mine!" I yelled.

He scoffed. "Well, it's mine now."

"Just make some more, Ayawamat," my mother said, walking to the kitchen.

"We're out of eggs and potatoes. I left the two of you some oatmeal."

Dad looked over his shoulder. "You eat that trash, that's not real food! Come on, honey, eat some eggs."

Mom sat down and ate from another plate.

"That... that's Muna's!"

His father dropped his fork. "Kid, shut up! We're eating here! Reain can give her his eggs. The two of you can eat the oatmeal."

My entire body shook violently. My eyes seemed to glow as I formed a set of fists. "You two can't just barge in and eat our food like this! You should've contacted us that you were coming early so I could've gone to get some more ingredients earlier than I planned to."

Dad narrowed his rosy eyes at me. "Don't speak to me in that tone, kid. Who do you think pays for the food? If you don't like it then quit school, find yourself a job, and get the heck out of here!"

Muna touched my hand. "It's fine. I love oatmeal. Reain, you or Aya can eat the eggs."

"I'm fine with oatmeal too," Reain said, backing away from the kitchen.

I took a deep breath. "You can have the eggs if you want, Reain," I said. I took out a small bowl of oatmeal for our sister. "Do you want it cold or warm?"

"Cold is fine. What about Brother?" Muna asked.

I closed the refrigerator. "I'll eat later, I can't eat in the presence of these two."

"Such a little diva," our dad said, rolling his eyes. "I thought we were raising a man, not a sniveling child. Great spirits, what did we do wrong to have had only one real son? Honestly, not even your magic is a redeeming quality of yours. At least Hota has something handy in earth. Yours is just gross."

Reian smiled and grimaced at the same time.

My body tensed up. I angrily turned to look at my father, and called forth the ants hidden in the various corners of the house to my side. "Father, don't test my patience." I undid my spell, causing the ants to return to their hiding spots while I rushed over to mine.

I slammed the door behind me and jumped into my bed. I put my head against my pillow and let out a scream. Tears swelled in my eyes.

Dad was right, I was a crybaby...no matter what, I still got upset for the simplest things. My parents were stressed, that's why they were acting like this.

If it weren't for him and Mother working their lives away, then we would've been on the streets. The least I could do was give them our eggs with potatoes.

But...why must they act that way? Taking out their stress on us like that. Especially Dad. He even took out his anger on Houta who wasn't even here to defend himself. I looked at my hands. I wish that I wasn't born with this stupid type of magic... Why couldn't I have had lightning, wind, sound, or ice? Why did I get the power to control insects, bugs, and arachnids?

Knocking sounds threw me out of my self-pity party. 'Is it Father?'

I opened the door and saw it was Muna. Of course, Father never apologized to me. After all, it was from him that Hota, Reian, and I learned to be so proud.

"Brother," Muna said. She had her bowl of oatmeal in her hands. "Can I eat here? Our parents are fighting again."

"Can I come in, too?" Reain said, poking his head inside the room. He held a plate of eggs in one hand and a bowl of oatmeal in the other.

"Why are you such a failure? You never say anything to your son. It's why he and his older brother turned out so badly," I heard our dad yell at Mom.

"What about you? You aren't much of a success, either. Compared to your older brother, you're like Hota and Aya while he is the Reain of the family. He has a good job and kids who respect him. While you're not good at anything besides—"

I covered my sister's ears. Those two were at it again...every single time I did something to upset either one, they would start fighting. At this point, most of their fights were random and illogical, to some degree. If I left then would the fighting stop?

Father grumbled. "Maybe you should've married him instead of me then." His seat screeched.

"Hey, where are you going?"

"Away from you."

"Don't waste all of your money on booze or gambling again!"

"What do you care? Regardless of what I do, I am still a good-for-nothing." He slammed the door.

"Fine, be that way! Stupid Mahkah!"

I sighed and sat down on my bed. Reain handed me the plate while he ate the oatmeal.

Once I finished eating, I set the dish down on the nightstand beside my bed. "Thanks a lot for bringing me my food."

Muna leaned her head against my shoulder. "I'm glad you're feeling better."

I leaned my head on top of hers. I didn't know what I would do without Reain and her. Same with Houta, back when he used to live with us.

Muna suddenly let out a yawn.

I chuckled. "You better go get some shut-eye. You'll have another long day tomorrow."

"Okay. See you tomorrow, big brother," she said, hugging me one last time.

Reain took their bowls and my plate. "I'll put these in the sink and try to cheer Mom up. Good night, Aya." He looked down. Tiny droplets were forming in his eyes. "I'll...make you proud when you return. I'll study magic, maybe ask Hota for help if I get the chance to talk to him. Like I said, I won't let that cousin of Lei defeat me!"

I smiled. "I'm counting on you to do so, don't become a failure of a son like Hota and me." 'Or worse, become like Dad.'

"You two ar-" Reain looked down and quickly wiped away his tears with the sleeve of his torn shirt. "Bye, Big Bro!" He stomped off to the kitchen.

I set my head down on my pillow and closed my eyes. 'Hopefully I'll finally get to leave this place soon...'

**Solar Note: Thanks for reading! I would really appreciate it if you took the time to vote and comment. If you do then I might just dedicate a chapter to you ;)**

Aspiration to the Heavens: Becoming the Supreme Mage Vol. 1- Novus MagusOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara