[Revised/Edited] Episode 30: Wishing for More

Start from the beginning

I wiped away my tears. A sense of pride bubbled inside of me from seeing my younger brother taking the duties of his older brother—the same duties which I had inherited not too long ago from Hota.

"Then I better give you a lesson before I leave," I said. "What would you like to eat later?"

"Egg," Muna said, grinning.

"I'll like potatoes," Reain said, smiling.

Egg, and potato...in that case...

"Alright, then we'll be making potatoes with eggs tonight!" I said. "Now run along. I got some packing to do for tomorrow."

"Let us help you!" my younger brother said.

"Yeah!" Muna said, jumping up and down.

I grinned. "Alright. But only for a bit. I can't have you two doing worse than Lei's cousins and his brother."

Reian scoffed. "Like I'll lose to that big baby!"

I smiled. 'So, he's as much of a baby as his cousin.'

We went to my tiny room. It only had a bed, a small built-in closet, and a nightstand.

Muna went straight for the stuff under the bed while I got my travel bag out of the closet. It was my first time leaving the islands. Actually, I had never left the big island before.

"What's this?" Muna asked, taking out a book.

"Don't open it!" I yelled.

"Why not?" Reian asked. He glanced at the book and opened it, landing on a page with a picture of the three of us with our mother and older brother. It had been taken the day that Muna was born.

"Woah, big brother Hota is here," Muna said. Her eyes shifted toward a picture of me as a kid, surrounded by others. Among the crowd were Yen and Lei. Also with them was a kid resembling the two, especially Lei.

Muna tilted her head. "Another Shandian?"

I snatched the book from them. "Let's get to work. Help me pack or go do your homework."

Muna shivered. "O...okay."

I gulped. I probably shouldn't have done that...

"Hey, Muna, I..."

Reian jumped, snatching the book back from me. He opened it up and saw a picture of me dressed as a bee. The Lan triplets meanwhile were dressed as bears, fleeing off with the bee's honey.

My kid brother burst into laughter. "You all look so lame!" he said, trying to contain his laughter.

My blue-eyes narrowed. "What did I just say?"

Reian backed away. With a pout he said, "You're starting to act like Dad."

"I'm not!" I said, rolling my eyes. "Dad is worse. Now get to it!"

"Yes, captain!" he responded, saluting.

I chuckled and patted him on the back. "Good boy!"

***

[Five hours later]

I finished putting down the last plate of potatoes with egg.

"Muna, Reain, dinner is ready! Have you two finished your homework?" I yelled as I took off my apron.

"I already put it away, I'll show it to you tomorrow before we leave for school," Reain said, walking in with a grin on his face.

Did he really? Seemed he was finally taking school more seriously.