[Revised/Edited] Episode 22: Winds of Rage

Start from the beginning

"Nothing? You're just being modest," I said, laughing.

"Though, it seems that your beam was erratic. You ended up freezing the entire tube and the target." Koukyuu glanced over at the frozen target and tube at the far end.

Wanikiya's face became red. "I couldn't control it very well."

She sighed. "That's going to cost you in the final tally. Well, next up is spell control for you, Lei. Cast your spells at the target again, this time, the target will move."

The tube enlarged and the target began to move around without any obvious pattern behind its movements.

I easily struck the target with another Ventus Draconis, but missed with Fulgur. "Let me try again." I released another electrical blast, but this time, I directed it by tying its movements to those of my eyes. Focusing on the center, I followed the target up, down, down, left, right, and right. It allowed me to get the spell to come close to the center of the tube before unleashing its full power on the target. Though, it barely got the edge.

"Finally something you're not good at," Koukyuu said, snickering as she typed something into her tablet. "Let's do the raw power and combination spells then."

My hands curled into fists. 'I can't be tied with Ayawamat. I got to do better than him. I will wipe that smug grin from his face and for all!' He blasted the now still target into tiny crystalline shards with another Fulgur.

Wanikiya chuckled. "Calm down, Lei."

The target reformed itself within a few seconds but it wasn't whole for long as wind reverted it back into crystalline dust.

Wind still danced around me like a weak mini tornado. 'I'm not weak, I'll show that guy. I'll get the best score in this exam!'

The target reformed anew and this time it moved around again. Taking in a deep breath, I created a wind dragon and had it move around the enlarged tube with ease. I then had the spell strike the center with as much force as before.

Koukyuu smiled as she typed away the new results. "Good, your wind magic's status as your primary element is showing."

A slight grin appeared on my face. "I'll do the same for lightning." I unleashed another blast of electricity, but still missed the target. However, the sheer force of the spell managed to turn it into ashes. "No..."

'How could I've failed again? Controlling the movement of a spell is a basic part of magic. Failing the basics... How can I ever be the strongest if I keep on making stupid mistakes?'

"That's enough," Koukyuu said as she finished typing in the new information onto her tablet. "You should rest while everyone finishes up this part of the test. You seem to have expended a lot of prana just now."

I nodded.

"See you later, I'll be over at the prana sensor," Wanikiya said, waving goodbye. He rushed off to one of the nearest stations.

As Wani entered, Nyima emerged from her own cubicle. Her radiant blue eyes were sending daggers at her proctor; a young man with brown hair and black around his eyes as if he were wearing makeup or hadn't slept in years. Perhaps both.

"Can you hurry up and tell me how I did?" she snapped, tapping her feet on the wooden gym floor.

The young man grinned. "Be patient," he responded calmly. "I printed them out." The guy leaned in. "You did well. I look forward to seeing how you perform in the next part." With those last words, he vanished in a vortex of sand and wind.

Her face flushed. "What's with that guy?"

"You just keep getting hit on, don't you?" I said, walking up to her.

She directed her glare at me. "Oh, shut it!" She sighed. "At least you haven't done so. Uh, not that I would want you to."

I looked her up and down. She was tall with a very curvy body for a fifteen-year-old girl. So, it wasn't hard to see why guys kept flirting with her. Though, for me, Nyima's personality wasn't exactly the best.

"Not my type," I said, chuckling.

Her face reddened. "I wouldn't want to be your type, you little maggot!"

"Please don't compare me to insects," I snapped, turning my head away.

She crossed her arms, studying my face. "Afraid of them?"

"No!" I said solemnly as I turned around. "Good luck on the next part." I felt a hand grab my arm. It was Nyima. I blinked. "Something the matter?"

"No..." Nyima looked down at the ground. "It's just..." She shook her head as if confused about something. "Let's go together."

I flashed her a bright smile. "Ah. I see. Don't have many friends here, do you? I'm fine with you hanging out with us."

She scoffed. "Goddess, you're just trying to get under my skin. Aren't you?"

I chuckled. "Nope. Not one bit!"

Her hands curled into fists and clear blobs of water danced around her. "I hope that we face each other in the tournament!" She stomped away, joining Yen and the others on the white bleachers.

'I went ahead and did it again.' I sighed. 'Hope that she doesn't add interest to what I owe her.' I chuckled. 'She's kind of cute, though.'

"Lei!" Adela said, rushing toward me. "Who was that girl you were talking to? I noticed that you were sitting with her during breakfast too."

"Nyima," I responded. "I met her on the way here. On accident." I stared at my childhood friend's eyes. A memory of flames flashed before my eyes. "I meant to ask you this earlier, but I didn't get the chance. Why are you here? I thought that you hated Kyuu Seishin."

She stepped back, hugging her shoulders. "I do. It might be like entering a wolf's den, but I want to learn what they wanted from me. That, and there's someone whom I wanted to see."

My face flushed at the last part. "Do you mean me? Why?"

Adela laughed awkwardly as she lowered her gaze. "Because, I owe you for what you did all those years ago."

"The next part is about to begin soon," Yuzuki shouted. She leered at both of them.

Adela and I glanced at the bleachers which gradually were filling back up.

Adela smiled. "I get it, Yuzu." She grabbed my hand. "Come. Let's not make her angry."

I followed her back, leaving behind a grumbling Yuzuki.

"Since when have we been on close enough terms for you to call me 'Yuzu'?" Yuzu snapped as she appeared in front of us.

"Wah," I said, jumping back. "D... don't warp in front of me without warning me first!"

Adela and Yuzu both snickered.

"You're still so easily frightened," Adela said, covering her grin.

Grumbling, I took a seat next to Nyima who was also laughing.

"Uh, sorry," Nyima said, hiding her smile with the collar of her brown leather coat.

'Great, now I'm a laughing stock!' I sighed. But Kun would've loved the attention if it were him. Big brother always loved to make others laugh, even if it came at his own expense.

"Everyone has wrapped up the first part. Now we shall start the next stage. But before that, we shall split you up into groups based on the type of magic each member can use. Several of you were already given teams enroute, but not all weren't were assigned into one," Koukyuu said as she was flanked by Sonata, Yuzu, Mayu, the guy who looked like Aya, and several others.

"To fix that, and to remind those who might've forgotten already, here's a reminder," Sonata said, snapping her fingers, causing tiny slips of paper to appear in everyone's hands.

I quickly unwrapped mine. "Team L.I.N.A..- Lei, Iah, Nyima, and..."

"Adela," said Iah, dropping his slip on the floor.

**Solar Note: Hope that you enjoyed the chapter, if you did then please click on that star to show your love <3**