[Revised/Edited] Episode 16: Child of Wind

Start from the beginning

After a good couple of minutes, I finally settled on a new white button-up-shirt that complimented my eyes. I paired it up with some khaki shorts that Mom had bought me last fall but I'd never gotten the chance to wear.

I laughed. The clothing choice made me resemble my dad. Well, more than usual.

"Big brother, you're awake!" Shandian called out from the kitchen as I descended the stairs. His blond hair was braided into a ponytail, making him look a lot like Dad.

I smiled at my kid brother. "Good morning, lil bro." My turquoise eyes darted throughout the living room and kitchen. It was no longer as loud as when my big brother was alive. "Where are Yen and Dad?"

"They're waiting for you outside," a woman responded as she dried her hands on a towel. I turned to look at Mom. Her hair was styled in a short bob cut but with long lavender bangs that were reminiscent of butterfly antennae. "Your sister told me you stayed up last night playing video games, again."

I grinned nervously and ran toward the door. "Bye, Mom, lil bro!"

Mom held her hand out. "Wait!"

I flinched, coming to a halt. Slowly, I spun back around, closing my eyes slightly to avoid looking directly at my mom's deep garnet-red eyes.

It was funny, I was afraid of angry Mom, despite her rarely getting mad. It was only when I did stupid things that she would show that unique side to her.

Mom rushed back into the kitchen and returned with a piece of toast with freshly homemade lemon curd. "Don't you want to eat? At least have a snack?"

"Nah, I'll just eat out," I responded, patting my right pants pocket. "I made sure to bring my wallet this time in case I need to pay for food."

Shan jumped out of his seat and walked over to me, holding out his own piece of toast. "Eat, silly!"

Sighing, I took the toast. I patted his soft head. My lips crested into a solemn smile. In only a few days, I would no longer be able to see that gentle smile. "Thanks, Shǎn. Well, I'm off!"

"Wait!" Mother yelled again.

I sighed and rolled my eyes before spinning around once more. "What's wrong now?" I asked, trying to not sound irritated.

Mom took out a light purple talisman with three butterflies drawn over it from under her apron.

"You'll be able to summon a maximum of three highly potent potions with this. Only utilize them when you're seriously injured, alright?" she said, her eyes watery.

My heart sank to my stomach. If only I could take back the bitterness that I had felt a moment ago.

I embraced her tightly. "I will! Thanks a lot, Mama!" I said. Not daring to look back, I turned away as I slowly let go of her. I forced myself to sprint out of the house as I devoured the toast.

***

There was no car in the driveway. Had they left to get something while they waited for me? They couldn't possibly have left me without saying a word, could they?

'I'll just wait for them,' I thought, stepping away from my house.

In front of our small purple and green house was a white sandy beach littered with multiple tropical trees such as palm, sea grape, and papaya.

I snatched one of the low-lying pink papayas from the closest tree and rubbed it with my sleeve before taking a bite.

Beyond the trees was an expanse of vibrant blue that seemed to go on forever. The only things that broke the illusion of an everlasting sea were the small spots in the distance, smaller inhabited islands.