154

It's been two weeks since Natalie started her internship, and she has been working so hard.

Savannah: can you believe our daughter is an intern now?

Jackson: I know. I wonder how she's getting along with the other interns.

Savannah: I swear, if I hear one bad thing about my daughter out any of their mouths, they can kiss their job and life goodbye.

Jackson chuckles at me.

-later-

Jackson and I walk into the ER and I see Meredith putting a trauma gown on.

Jackson: uh, why are you gowning?

Meredith: a major trauma just came in.

Savannah: ooh!

I step forward to grab a trauma gown, but Jackson pulls me back.

Jackson: no, no, no. We have plenty of surgeons who don't need to be in Boston, Meredith. What—

Alex: O'Malley and Yang.

Jackson: what's that?

Alex: baby O'Malley and baby Yang.

Meredith: and there's a baby Izzie Stevens, who's having a baby. I mean, I definitely cannot go anywhere right now.

Savannah: good enough for me. Let's get gowned.

I throw on a trauma gown and make my way over to the trauma.

Baby Izzie: I called your parents. They're flying in. They wouldn't take, "we don't know yet" for an answer, so I made up some medicine.

Cleo: what did you go with?

Baby Izzie: minor blunt-force trauma with no LOC on the scene.

Cleo: that's good. Sounds cool. Means nothing.

Savannah: are you guys doctors?

Greg: we're interns at Seattle Pres.

Cleo: we are no longer interns and haven't been for two weeks, Greg. We are second years. Try to keep up.

I start examining Greg.

Savannah: crush syndrome can cause arrhythmias and renal failure, so we need—

Natalie: we need calcium, bicarb, and albuterol.

Savannah: correct, Dr. Collins.

Cleo: look at them. The way they're looking at you. That's the "you're gonna die" face.

Greg: shut up, Cleo.

Savannah: that really isn't helpful.

Cleo: we know that face. We use that face. It's perfectly composed, gives nothing away. You should call your mom, let her hear your voice one last time.

Greg: I hate you.

Cleo: hate won't get you into heaven.

Greg: you don't believe in heaven.

Cleo: I'm not the one they're looking at like that.

The firefighter takes part of the seat off of Greg.

Greg: I-I can't– I can't breathe.

Savannah: we need to get him out of there.

Cleo: he's turning blue! Somebody do something!

April: his muscles are reprising. Get ready to intubate and code.

Bailey: open up the airway kit.

Natalie: no, wait. It's not reperfusion. It's his neck. He needs traction.