Forty

I'm sitting on a gurney in the ER, and Teddy calls Cristina over. Then, Bailey comes around and gathers us around a trauma room.

Bailey: she was pinned under her car, her leg was amputated in a pit of dirt, her abdomen is pulp, and her pelvis is probably crushed. You will work together to assess her injuries and repair them.

April: oh, in the OR?

Bailey: no, at the Jiffy Lube. Yes, in the OR. Dr. Torres will supervise your work. If your killing her, she will step in. Otherwise, you're on your own. Don't screw this up like you screw everything else up you've touched lately. Ladies and gentlemen, step away from the patient.

We all rush forward and start working together to assess the patient.

Jackson: it's an open book pelvic fracture.

April: and a comminuted femur fracture. Has anyone fully examine the stump?

Cristina: pneumopericardium and an enlarged cardiac shadow. She needs a chest tube and a CT.

Alex: free fluid. She needs the OR.

Savannah: an embolization and angio would help stabilize the pelvic bleeding.

Alex: an angio's just gonna waste time.

Jackson: we could pack her in the OR.

Alex: call the OR. Tell them to prep for an emergent laparotomy.

Cristina: hello? A CT.

Savannah: who died and made you God?

April: okay, look, I think what we need to do is—

Jackson: April, you're not Chief Resident or Chief of Surgery. Stop.

Alex: did somebody call the OR?

Cristina: no, because she needs a CT to assess her cardiac injuries.

Alex: what did I say about—

Cristina: no one gives a crap what you have to say.

Then, her monitors start going off.

Savannah: you still want to take her to Radiology? Maybe wait in line for a little while til the machine's free? Nurse, please call the OR.

-later-

We wheel our patient out of the elevator towards the OR.

Jackson: let's check the liver first. It's the most likely source.

Derek: hey, Yang. Where's Meredith?

Cristina: I don't know. She's in cardiogenic shock. That's our main concern.

Derek: Yang—

Cristina: they– they fired her. Maybe she's putting anthrax in Karev's locker.

Alex: BP's tanking. We need to up her fluids.

Cristina: no, her pericardium is filled with air and blood.

Alex: do you listen to anyone else, ever?

Cristina: all the time. Just not you.

Jackson: or me, apparently.

Derek: look, she's not answering her phone or her pager.

Cristina: I haven't seen her. I was in the pit– she's not in the pit. I was in the elevator– she's not in the elevator.

We roll her into the OR then scrub in.

Cristina: give me a 10-blade, please.

Alex: don't give her a 10-blade. The woman just had her leg hacked off. She doesn't need her chest cracked open for something we're not even sure she has.