127

I'm sitting with Jackson at home eating dinner.

Savannah: so, who are you submitting for the grant?

Jackson: I don't know. I mean, they're all really good. Do you know who you're submitting?

Savannah: I'm leaning towards Edwards. She's smart, passionate and absolutely on top of her game. She would excel with this grant.

Jackson: yeah, I agree. She's probably one of my favourite residents.

Savannah: don't get me wrong, I think any of them could get it. It's just that Blake is still learning, and she still has so much to do before she can think about something like this. And Wilson, she needs to be in a good place where she isn't letting personal stuff interfere with work.

Jackson: that's fair. That's smart thinking.

Savannah: you're lucky you married the smartest woman ever.

Jackson chuckles at me.

Jackson: so very lucky.

I chuckle as I eat.

-time skip-

I'm in the ER with a young girl.

Savannah: so, you are 14. Um... are you parents here? Who brought you?

Jenny: I took the bus. Is this gonna take long? I have to get back for my history test.

Savannah: um, well, I mean, it just kind of sounds like a cold.

Jenny: I-I know, but it's just– m-my stomach just hurts when I cough... or sneeze... or move sometimes.

Savannah: okay. Let's take a look. Can you lean back? Can you lift your shirt for me?

Jenny: also... I-I'm pregnant.

I raise my eyebrows at the girl.

Savannah: okay. Well, you buried the lead there. Um, page OB. And page Dr. Kepner.

I start examining the patient.

Savannah: how long have you been feeling pain?

Jenny: since, like, 6:00am.

Savannah: who's your doctor?

Jenny: you?

Savannah: have you been getting any prenatal care at all?

The girl sinks into the bed and then she spots someone, causing her to cover her stomach.

Jenny: oh my god! That's my mom! What is she doing here? You called her?!

Savannah: no. No, I didn't, but—

Jenny: she can't know.

Savannah: what?

Jenny: she doesn't know I'm pregnant. You can't tell her. Please!

Savannah: I...

Jenny: promise.

Savannah: okay, I-I promise.

I pull the curtain.

Savannah: Jenny, sweetheart, I can help you talk to your mom.

Jenny: no, y-you can't. She'll freak out.

Savannah: you're six months pregnant. She's gonna find out soon. Why not tell her so that she can help you?

Jenny: because this is not what we do. That's what she says any time I forget to do the dishes or get a B. "This is not what we do, Jenny.". I'm not supposed to even have a boyfriend, so this would– ow.