135

Natalie has gone back to school, so it's back to just Jackson and I with the kids. I was helping Cathy put her coat on as Jackson makes me breakfast.

Savannah: you didn't have to make breakfast for me, my love.

Jackson: I know. But you're my wife and the love of my life who is still healing from giving birth, so as your husband, I'm going to make you breakfast.

Savannah: I don't deserve you. Hey, you should get going or else you're gonna be late.

I pull Jackson into a kiss.

Jackson: I'll see you later. I love you.

Savannah: I love you too.

Jackson: goodbye, little man. Have fun with mama.

Cathy: daddy, let's go!

Jackson: okay, okay. You are becoming more like your mother every day.

Savannah: you say that like it's a bad thing.

Jackson chuckles at me.

Jackson: Cathy, go say bye bye to mama and your brother.

Cathy runs over to me and kisses my cheek then kisses her little brother.

Cathy: bye, Shawn! I love you!

I smile as Cathy runs back to her father.

Jackson: bye, babe. Love you.

Savannah: love you too!

I watch Jackson leave the house, then I watch out the window as he gets into his car and wait for him to leave the driveway. Once he was gone, I grab Shawn.

Savannah: good, daddy's gone so now we can get ready to go to the hospital, and we can see all your aunts and uncles.

-later-

I made it to the hospital, and I'm walking into the lounge and see Amy with Meredith and Maggie.

Amy: married sex is dirtier than I expected.

Maggie: not the sex, the bragging.

Savannah: I'm with Amy. Married sex is dirtier, but way more fun.

The girls turn to me and smile when they see Shawn in my arms.

Amy: hello there, little handsome man. Oh my gosh, he is just the cutest thing ever!

I sit down next to Meredith and hold Shawn close to me.

Savannah: he is the cutest damn thing ever, but all he does is lie there. I need to be doing more. I love my son, more than anything else. But if I have to sit alone in the house for one more minute, I'm going to lose my mind.

Meredith: what about Cathy?

Savannah: she's in daycare. Since I'm still recovering, we thought it would be best until I get my strength back. Don't get me wrong, I love my baby girl... but it was a good idea.

Amy: you're losing it.

Savannah: very close to.

Suddenly, their pagers go off.

Maggie: multiple MVCs coming into the ER.

Savannah: ugh! I'm jealous.

The girls chuckle at me as Riggs walks in.

Nathan: hey, Pierce, I've got a valve replacement. You good in the ER?

Maggie: yep, I can cover the pit.

Nathan: got it. Collins? Why're you holding a baby?

Savannah: first of all, he's my baby. Secondly, I'm here. Since you all get to work in my ER, I will be here with my son.