Seventy Five

Jackson and I greet the CDC workers and bring them into the OR.

The hospital is being investigated after Bailey operated on three different patients that got a post-op infection.

Once we led them into the OR, we lead the rest of the board into a lounge.

Derek: we're throwing Bailey under the bus.

Jackson: come on. That is not what we're doing.

Callie: yeah, it seems like that's exactly what we're doing.

Savannah: two patients are dead because of the same post-op infection with a third barely hanging on. The only common thing is this hospital and Bailey. We can't figure this out and protocol said to get CDC here. And that's what we did.

Meredith: by treating Bailey like a criminal? She hasn't done anything.

Savannah: Mer, the truth is we don't know that yet. The CDC is simply asking us to temporarily freeze Bailey's files.

Derek: oh, come on.

Jackson: and we cannot discuss this investigation with her. So today, just keep your distance.

Cristina: that is ridiculous.

Jackson: also I think now's the time to put out a statement.

Everyone: no.

Savannah: Jackson, we talked about this. Putting out a statement now is useless if we don't even know what this is. We have to know all the facts before we say the wrong thing.

Jackson: if one of ours is at fault and we just sit on this information, we look like we're trying to cover something up. The only way to let the public know that we can be objective is by being transparent.

Savannah: and like we discussed last night, we can't make a statement with half-assed information. We don't need to be transparent with the public. Just with the patients' families.

Jackson: I'm just saying people should learn the news from us.

Callie: they wouldn't be here if you hadn't called them.

Savannah: guys, enough. We're not making a statement. End of discussion. Now, the best thing that we can do right now is cooperate with the CDC until they finish their investigation. Understood?

Everyone nods their heads.

-later-

I'm in the ER going over charts, and I see Jackson walk over to April and I.

Jackson: tell me there is someone down here that I can help. It's six against one with the board today, and I need a victory.

Savannah: baby. It was the right call and you know it.

Jackson: I know, I'm sorry. I'm just being a little bitter.

Callie approaches the desk.

Callie: bed three. Femur's broken. I'm sending him to angio.

Savannah: mhmm.

Callie: alert the press.

I roll my eyes at Callie.

Savannah: you better grow up, Callie, or else you can say goodbye to your precious cartilage lab funding.

Callie walks off to see other patients.

Jackson: thank you.

Jackson kisses my cheek as Jeremy approaches.

Jeremy: hey, guys.