Forty Two

3rd Person POV:

Catherine Avery is coming to Seattle Grace Mercy West, which sent Jackson into a panic. He didn't want Lexie to meet his mother and meddle, so he "surprised" her with a trip to see her sister, Molly.

Lexie: I'll see you in a couple days.

Jackson: yeah. Have fun with your sister.

Jackson and Lexie share a kiss.

Lexie: bye. I love you.

Jackson opened his mouth, but he hesitates. Why couldn't he say it back?

My POV:

Today is a great day, because Catherine is coming to the hospital for a surgery. She texted me beforehand and told me about the surgery, and I'm so excited. Unfortunately, Jackson is not.

Savannah: I can't believe you sent Lexie away when mom is here. I mean, if you're really serious about her, you should let mom meet her.

Natalie: yeah, J. That's messed up.

When Natalie found out that Catherine was coming to town, she took the day off so she could see her.

Jackson: could you both shut up?

Savannah: I'm really excited that she's here.

Jackson: of course, you are. She loves you. Hell, she probably loves you more than me. And I'm her son.

Savannah: she did basically raise me. Not to mention I basically gave her a grandchild.

Natalie: yeah, dude.

Jackson: hush.

Savannah: I get to be excited. I haven't seen mom since intern year.

The three of us take our seats in the auditorium next to April. I see Meredith, Cristina and Alex walk in together and sit down in front of us.

Cristina: I can't believe Altman postponed our surgery for grand rounds. It's just a boring lecture.

Meredith: your husband said it was mandatory.

Alex: one more hour of sleep, that's what it is.

April: oh, no. It's not gonna be boring. This is Jackson's mother, Catherine Avery.

Savannah: aka my pseudo-mom.

Natalie: aka my grandma.

Alex: what're you doing here, baby Collins?

Natalie: took the day off to see my grandma Catherine.

Savannah: Owen allowed her to be here.

Meredith: she's the urologist, right?

April: yeah. We met her when we were interns at Mercy West. She's amazing.

Savannah: she really is. She's the best woman I know.

Jackson: she is... a lunatic.

I whack Jackson on the arm.

Savannah: that's not true. She's brilliant.

Natalie: she really is. She says a lot of shocking things, but then when you think about them later, they change your whole life.

Savannah: my daughter is correct.

Jackson: or they ruin your whole life. She's toxic. She's a meddler. My mom has no boundaries. Be warned.

Savannah: yeah, okay. That's where I agree. As lovely as Catherine can be, she does tend to meddle a lot.