Forty Three

I'm standing in the dugout as Arizona scrambles for the ball.

Arizona: well, it flew at my head.

I walk out onto the field with my bat in hand and I get into position. We're just waiting on Mark who is making out with his new girlfriend, Julia, who works at Seattle Pres.

Savannah: Sloan, quit macking your girlfriend or else I'll use your head for a ball.

Mark pulls back and focuses.

Teddy: hey, Hunt. When are you gonna let me pitch? I'm a really good pitcher.

Owen: we're fine. Shepherd throws an unbeatable screwball, alright? Let's go, Collins!

Natalie: go, mom!

I relax my stance and watch as Derek throws. The second the ball comes near, I swing, and the ball goes soaring in the air. I drop my bat and start sprinting as fast as I can. I decided to show off and do a back flip onto the home base.

Savannah: oh, yeah. I think I forgot to mention that I've been playing softball with Natalie since she was 10.

Owen: you're insane. Save that for the game.

I smirk as I share a fist bump with Owen.

Derek: Lexie. We have a consult. Come on.

Everyone starts leaving.

-later-

I walk alongside Owen towards the ER.

Owen: you know, you've been doing really good as Chief Resident. I'm glad this position hasn't set you back.

Savannah: thanks, Hunt.

We enter the trauma room.

Savannah: what do we have?

Paramedic: Carl Shatler, sanitation worker, mid 30s. Fell off the back of a garbage truck, then hit by a car backing out of a driveway.

Callie: okay, vitals are stable but he has multiple contusions, scalp lac, and obvious hand injuries.

Owen: okay, Carl? Carl, I'm Dr. Hunt. Do you know where you are? Can you hear me?

Savannah: GCS 10, and pupils are equal and reactive. We're gonna need the portable x-ray and ultrasound.

Callie was looking at Carl's hand.

Callie: oh, this hand's hamburger. He's gonna lose some of this.

Carl: oh, God. No!

Savannah: Carl, calm down.

Owen: Kepner, where is that ultrasound? Give us some room here, Torres.

Callie: okay, I just need to stabilize the hand, and then I will—

Savannah: Callie, we'll page you when we need you. The hand isn't a priority right now. We need some space.

-later-

I found Jackson and Lexie by a nurses desk.

Savannah: hey.

Jackson: hey, bub.

Jackson hands me a cup of coffee and kisses my forehead.

Savannah: thanks.

Jackson: I see you haven't lost those softball skills.

Savannah: never.

Lexie: that back flip you did was insane.

Jackson: my girl Luna over here was the best gymnast in our whole school.