Fifty Eight

I'm in my apartment about to leave for work for the first time since the crash.

Natalie: mom, do you really think it's a good idea to go back to work? It wouldn't hurt to stay back at least one more day.

Savannah: I have to go back today, Nat. I made a promise to Derek. He needs me, and frankly, I need him now more than ever.

Natalie: come on, mom. I can take today off, and we can just—

Savannah: the last time I checked, I'm the parent around here. So stop treating me like a child!

Natalie: I'm not! I'm your child, and I'm just trying to protect you.

Savannah: if you wanted to protect me, you wouldn't have thrown me into Psych!

Natalie: I had no choice!

Savannah: yes, you did!

Natalie: you were trying to kill yourself! What was I supposed to– just stand by and let you?! No! I nearly lost you in that crash, mom! There's no way in hell I'm ever going to lose you!

Savannah: I'm done talking about this! I'm going to work.

I grab my things and drive to the hospital. As I pull into the parking lot, I let out a deep breath.

Savannah: you can do this.

I take a couple deep breaths as I walk through the hospital and into my office. When I get there, I see a bouquet of flowers on my desk.

Today is going to be tough, but you are so strong and remember that I'm always here for you. I love you, my shining Star ❤️

-J xoxo

I let out a sigh as I set the card down. I change into my scrubs and lab coat then I make my way to the lobby where Bailey and Mer were looking over charts.

Savannah: hey.

Bailey and Mer turn to face me.

Meredith: you're here.

Meredith pulls me into a big hug. Ever since the crash, my friendship with Mer has grown a thousand times stronger. She's really helped me through these really dark times.

Savannah: it's the only way I'll be able to heal, Mer.

Bailey: we're glad you're back, Collins.

Savannah: thanks, Bailey. I can't wait to be in an OR again. But first, I have something to do. Mer, have you seen Derek?

Meredith: I think he's in the lounge.

Savannah: okay. See you later.

I walk off to the lounge, and I find Derek sitting alone in the dark room.

Savannah: hey, Der-bear.

Derek: hey.

I walk over to Derek and sit on the arm of his chair. He immediately placed his head on my shoulder and I place my head on top of his.

Derek: you're here.

Savannah: I need to be. For you. And... for him.

Derek takes my hand and squeezes it tight.

Derek: you gonna be okay?

Savannah: I have to be. How's your hand?

Derek: still numb. How's your chest and arm?

Savannah: still a pain in my ass. I had a flare-up at 2 in the morning.

Derek squeezes my hand as Webber walks into the room.