106

I'm walking around the halls, and I get a page from Amy. She's been working her ass off for weeks on her plan to take out Nicole Herman's tumor, and today is the day that she operates. She's been pretty nervous, but she's a lot like Derek and I believe she'll be able to remove it.

I walk into the scrub room and I see Amy scrubbing in while Herman was being put under.

Savannah: hey. Big day. How you feeling?

Amy: you're my friend. Tell me something. Anything. Tell me that I'm not in over my head here. Tell me that I can do this and I won't kill her.

I step forward and place my hands on Amy's shoulders.

Savannah: you have been working your ass off for weeks. You are going to save her life. If Herman didn't think you'd be able to do this, she wouldn't be on that table right now. You're Amelia Shepherd. The Dr. Shepherd. You're going to get into that OR, cut Nicole Herman open and you are going to kick this tumor's ass.

Amy smiles at me.

Savannah: I'll be in the gallery watching. I have so much faith in you. If you need anything, you look up at me. You've got this.

I smile at Amy before walking out to sit in the gallery. When I get there, I walk over to Jackson and sit next to him. Maggie and Meredith walk in and sit next to me.

Savannah: you've got this, Amy.

I watch Amy step forward.

Amy: start the clock, please. Ten blade.

-later-

I had my head on Jackson's shoulder as we watch Amy operate.

Maggie: so this is a regular thing. You all come up here and you watch surgeries. Why?

Meredith: not just surgeries– the big surgeries, the whale surgeries, the rare ones, the crazy ones. I mean, you're on the edge of your seat. The patient could die. This is life or death. The adrenaline, the rush—

Maggie: okay, so you watch, like, the worst day of a person's life like a movie.

Meredith: no, not like a movie. That's insulting. This is not entertainment. "Movie". Oh, okay. This is where the good part starts.

Meredith hands me an orange and I split it with Jackson.

Amy: let's go ahead and inject the dye. Lights, please.

The lights go off.

Intern: what does the dye do?

Meredith: oh, the dye makes the whole tumor glow so that we can see where the tumor ends and where the brain begins.

Suddenly, Amy's entire face was lit up from the tumor.

Savannah: wow.

Edwards: Dr. Shepherd is examining the margins of the tumor.

I find myself on the edge of my seat watching Amy operate.

Edwards: Dr. Shepherd is now cutting the tumor away from the gyrus rectus.

the same intern taps Meredith on the shoulder.

Intern: gyrus rectus?

Meredith: the area responsible for our sense of smell.

Ben shushes us. Owen and Callie walk into the room and start talking, only to be shushed by Ben.

Callie: oh, relax. It's not the ballet or whatever.

Savannah: it is kind of a dance, though. There's grace, a rhythm, an elegance.

Callie: oh, okay. I got shushed, but Queen Collins is fine.