Sixty Seven

I felt my chest starting to burn, so I sit up and hold my hand up to my chest and wince in pain.

Jackson: Sav? What's wrong?

Savannah: n-nothing, sweetie.

Jackson: talk to me, love. Is it your chest?

Savannah: I'll be fine. Just go back to sleep, lovey.

I let out a deep breath as Jackson placed his hand on my thigh.

-later-

I'm standing next to Jackson in the lobby along with most of the staff as Owen starts a meeting.

Owen: okay, folks. Let's just start. As many of you know, Seattle Grace Mercy West has suffered a financial setback. The administration is working hard to keep the impact of that setback as small as possible. To that end, we're gonna have to initiate some cost-cutting measures. The board has hired a physician advisor to help.

Meredith: what's a physician advisor?

Owen: well, she consults on maximizing efficiency, streamlining processes, assessing where we can trim our budgets.

Bailey: who to fire and when to fire them?

Owen: she's here to advise and to help. I was hoping to introduce her in person, but she seems to be late.

I let out a snort.

Savannah: on her first day? Not very efficient, not to mention very unprofessional.

Everyone laughs at my comment.

Owen: you can expect to see her in the halls, in your labs, in the OR.

Derek: so we're gonna have an accountant following us around in the ORs?

Owen: she's not an accountant. She is a trained surgeon. Frankly, she is here to try to help us. Thank you for your cooperation.

As everyone leaves, I approach Owen.

Savannah: Owen. What's this chick's name?

Owen: Alana Cahill.

Savannah: okay. Thanks.

I run up to Derek.

Savannah: hey! Big day today.

Derek: it is, indeed.

Savannah: an acoustic neuroma. Exciting. You ready for that?

Derek: as ready as I can be. As long as I have you by my side.

Savannah: obvi!

Derek and I share a high five.

Savannah: I'm just gonna check on the ER.

I make my way down to the ER.

-later-

I'm walking around the ER, making sure everything was good, and I notice a woman sitting on a bed. Judging by her outfit, she must be Cahill.

Savannah: Edwards, bed five needs a checkup. I'll handle bed seven.

I approach the woman.

Savannah: so, Dr. Cahill, it says that you're experiencing shortness of breath, but I can tell that you're just fine, so I am going to ask you to vacate the bed. We need it for actual patients that need our help, not physician advisors looking for reasons to get us in trouble. If you're looking for Chief Hunt, he's in his office.

Cahill: wait. How could you—

Savannah: how could I tell you weren't actually experiencing shortness of breath? I've seen the symptoms many times. And your name tag is insanely obvious. I'm Dr. Savannah Collins, in case you need to take notes. Bye now.