Nine

I was up early this morning to scrub in with Bailey and Meredith.

Bailey: Dr. Collins, how have you been adjusting?

Savannah: fairly well. Thank you, Dr. Bailey.

Bailey: I've noticed your relationship with your daughter. Has it always been easy?

Savannah: for the most part, yes. When she transitioned into a teenager, it was a bit rough. Working late hours wasn't easy on her. She didn't like being alone all the time, and she resented me for it. But, as she got older, she realized that I do this to provide for her.

Bailey: you're a good mom, Collins.

I smile at Bailey.

Savannah: thank you, Dr. Bailey.

Bailey: I think we've almost got the tumor out. At this rate, we'll be finished early, Grey, Collins. You two might be able to catch the end of Shepherd's big speech.

Suddenly, our patient's monitors start going off.

Meredith: she's tachycardic.

We all look over at the anesthesiologist, Ben Warren, who looked confused.

Ben: I don't understand what happened. Everything appears to be in order here.

Bailey: there's– there's no bleeders. I don't see any bleeders. Okay, I-I don't see a-a reason why down here, so why is her heart rate going through the roof?

Savannah: did you check her anastomosis?

Bailey: her anastomosis is intact. Everything is intact. What is– wait, wait, wait. Did I just feel movement?

I look over at the patient, and my face falls into shock.

Savannah: Dr. Bailey... she's awake. The patient is awake.

Bailey's eyes follow my gaze, and her face falls into shock and terror.

Bailey: well, what the hell did you do? What the hell did you do?! Get her back to sleep right now!

I stand close to our patient and try my best to calm her down.

Savannah: hey, don't worry. It's going to be okay. I know you're scared right now, but it's going to be okay. Just stay calm and try to breathe. We're going to fix this and everything will be okay. Just listen to the sound of my voice. Don't worry. I'm right here with you, okay? It's okay. Everything is going to be okay. Focus on the sound of my voice.

Ben: pushing 150 of Propofol.

Meredith and I look at each other with the same thought: what the hell just happened?

-later-

When our surgery was finished, Bailey paged Derek to speak to him about the incident. Meredith and I stand together while Ben and Dr. Bailey talk at same time.

Ben: she had the appropriate amount of anesthetic. There is no—

Bailey: the patient was open on the table—

Meredith: there is no way I'm implicated in this, right?—

Bailey: and he allowed her to be awake—

Derek: stop. Stop. Just every– stop. Just take a deep breath. You two check on the patient.

Meredith links arms with me and we go check on the patient.

Meredith: do you think she'll remember anything?

Savannah: I mean, something like that, it's hard to forget. That would be traumatizing.