Ninety Four

Jackson and I are having breakfast with April before work.

Savannah: thanks for breakfast, hon.

Jackson: yeah, thanks, April. We appreciate it.

April: of course, we haven't properly hung out in a while. I mean, I don't blame you guys at all for that. I mean, you guys are trying to balance work and being parents. Not to mention being board members. But I just miss hanging out with you guys. We're best friends, and yet we hardly see each other outside the hospital.

Savannah: I know. But we'll make more time for each other outside of work, I promise.

April: hey, I have something to ask you guys.

Savannah: what's up, hon?

April: I have an ultrasound today. Can you and Jackson come? You guys have been there for me throughout this whole thing, and it would mean a lot to me if you were there, and I know Jeremy would want you guys there too.

Savannah: we'd love to be there.

Jackson: absolutely.

Jackson kisses me on the cheek.

April: really?

Savannah: of course. April, you're my best friend. I wanna be there for you.

Jackson: so do I.

April smiles as she pulls me into a hug.

April: thank you.

Savannah: of course, sweetie.

Jackson: no problem, April.

Once we finished breakfast, we drive to the hospital and take Cathy to the daycare before heading to April's appointment. When we get there, Jeremy was waiting with the OB. Jackson sits down while I stand on April's left side and Jeremy on her right side. I had April's hand in mine as the OB does the ultrasound.

Doctor: and... there you go. See right there? That little blueberry's what you've been waiting for... or not. This wasn't the idea?

Jeremy: uh, well, sure.

Doctor: are you looking to terminate?

Jeremy: no, no.

April: God, no, no.

Doctor: okay, then. Well, get dressed and meet me in my office.

The OB prints off a copy of the sonogram then leaves the room. I stand closer to April and look at the baby.

Savannah: aww, look at my future niece or nephew. Cathy's gonna have a little best friend.

I look up at April who was looking at Jeremy.

Savannah: we'll give you two some space.

Jackson and I walk out of the room and separate to discuss the conjoined twins case that Derek asked me to be on.

-later-

I'm in the imaging room with Derek and his sister Amy, who had gotten surgical privileges and joined us on the case, explaining our part of the surgery.

Derek: these are the most complex brain scans you will ever see.

Amy: as you will see, these women share brain matter. Separating them is made even more complicated by the fact...

Derek: there is one shared sagittal sinus supplying blood to the brain.

Savannah: first, we need to determine which lucky twin gets to keep that, and the other twin gets the graft. Dr. Grey and Dr. Webber will harvest the saphenous vein which will be used as the new sagittal sinus. Meanwhile, Dr. Torres will be making a mild of the cranial bone flap, so we'll be able to replace the missing part of the skull, which they will cover with a flap, but Dr. Avery and Dr. Harris will place skin expanders so they will be able to fully cover the entire defect.