Seventy

I'm sitting on the couch drinking tea as we discuss Callie's idea to buy the hospital.

Callie: I am telling you, once we got these doctors talking, it was a horror show.

Arizona: shh. I just got Sofia back down.

Callie: oh, and, uh, Portland Gen has quotas now. Yeah. It's unspoken, but it's understood that you have to churn out a certain number of procedures.

Meredith: and no research?

Callie: nope. Pegasus is only interested in high-volume, high-price-tag procedures. Barely any patient interaction. So no research, no innovation, no opportunity to do what it is we got into medicine to do.

Derek: well, we won't let that happen to us here.

Callie: oh, yeah? That's what they said at first. And then the people that fought management got fired, and the rest wore down or they left. Now I don't want to leave. None of us do. You guys, come on. We have to do this. We have to buy the hospital.

Derek: woah. Hold on.

Meredith: maybe she's right.

Arizona: just wait.

We all turn to Arizona.

Arizona: what if we don't want to? I'm sorry. It's never been my dream to run a hospital.

Callie: okay, well, you might not have to run it.

Derek: Cristina should be here.

Meredith: I have been texting her.

Arizona: I just got back to work. And, Derek, you just got your hand back. Don't you want to just work?

Savannah: work where? I can't have somebody telling me which patients I can and can't treat. Or putting a stopwatch on how much time I can spend with them.

Callie: exactly. If we ran the place, we could make policy decisions based on our experiences.

Derek: uh, no offense, but that is a naive way of putting it. The job is much harder than you think. I wanted it once, and I hated it. We should stay the course. I made a deal with Pegasus that apparently will help the sale.

Meredith turns to Derek.

Meredith: what... deal?

Derek: nothing, it's stupid. But maybe that's how we make it work, from the inside.

Arizona: what about Hunt?

Savannah: Cahill is using him. Getting his support, he has no choice but to follow. And he feels guilty. He thinks that the ER being closed down is part of his punishment.

Then, everyone starts arguing about prices.

Arizona: what are we talking about, like $100 million, $200 million?

Derek: you know what you're talking about. We have more than we're ever gonna be able to spend anyway.

Savannah: guys, enough!

I get everyone's attention.

Savannah: we have absolutely no idea how much this is going to cost us. We can't just stand here and yell at each other if we're really going through with this. If we're really going to do this, we need help. And we need it now. We have to work together, guys. Listen, what I know for sure is that we need more than the $75 million we have combined.

Callie: I had some money before all this. I've got about... 700 grand I can get to right away.

Meredith: it's true. We have money in the IRA and we have about—