Fifty Five

I'm sitting on the curb next to April with her head on my shoulder as Jackson joins us and squishes in between April and I then placed his head on my chest.

Meredith: that was hell. Actual, physical hell.

Cristina: I think I went a tad overboard. A lot overboard.

Meredith: they took something from me.

Jackson: yeah, that wasn't an exam. That was an interrogation.

Cristina: like, way... way overboard.

Meredith: the mind games.

April: trick questions.

Jackson: it felt like Al Qaeda in there.

Meredith: next test is in June.

Cristina: June's not bad.

Meredith: 2013.

Cristina: oh.

Jackson: what's done is done. Let's just not even talk about it anymore.

Cristina: I'm just concerned at the fact that your girlfriend hasn't said a word yet.

Jackson: princess, are you okay?

Savannah: oh, totally. I'm just trying to figure out a good way to tell my daughter that I failed my boards. So far... nothing. So I'm just peachy.

Meredith: anyone know how Alex did?

Savannah: anyone know if Alex made it?

Cristina: made it?

Meredith: what do you mean made it?

I share a look with Jackson and April. I pray to God that Alex made it.

~Six hours earlier~
Session One

I smile at my examiner and try my best to keep calm, considering the fact that my examiner was Tom Koracick, head of neuro at John Hopkins.

Koracick: welcome to the American Medical Board of Surgery certifying examination. We'll give you four separate scenarios in three 30 minute sessions, 10 minute breaks in between. To pass the test, you must pass two of the three sessions. You can fail a session and still pass. But examiners are not permitted to indicate whether you passed or failed each session. You'll be rated on your ability to diagnose, manage treatment, handle the unexpected– basically, the strength of your constitution in crisis. And when we move on to the next scenario, once the question is asked, it cannot be repeated. Do you understand, Dr. Collins.

Savannah: yes, Dr. Koracick.

Koracick: alright, here we go. A 55 year old woman is brought into the ER after a major head-on collision. Paramedics say that she lost consciousness in the field and he started seizing when he woke up. What do you do?

I ignore my shaking hands and look at Dr. Koracick.

Savannah: I would check her vitals, along with her pupillary response. Then I would order a head and spinal CT—

Koracick: are you sure about that?

Savannah: y-yes. Yes, I'm sure.

Koracick: interesting. Proceed.

During my break, I start walking around to ease my stress. Suddenly, I hear Jackson's voice.

Jackson: just leave me alone! I'm in the middle of my freakin' boards.

I run up to Jackson, with Catherine behind him.

Jackson: are you following me, mom?

Mom: I'm the examiner in the room next to yours.