One

I walk into the locker room of Mercy West, preparing myself for the day ahead of me. I jump when I see someone jump in front of me. I rub my eyes and look up and sigh when I see April smiling very brightly at me.

April: good morning, Savvy-bear!

I met April on our first day at Mercy West. We've been best friends ever since. She's the kindest girl ever and I love her.

Savannah: April, I love you. You know I do. But it is six in the morning. It's too early to be happy.

Jackson: hey, grumpy pants.

I smile when I see Jackson and Charles walk in. Our friendship consisted of me, Jackson, Charles, April and Reed. We've all known each other since our first day at Mercy West, and we've been inseparable ever since.

Jackson: take this.

Jackson placed a huge cup of coffee in my hand, which made me smile.

Savannah: this is why I keep you around.

Jackson: wow. I can feel the love.

I chuckle at Jackson as I sip my coffee. I notice Reed walk into the room as I throw my lab coat on.

April: this is our last day at Mercy West. The merger is happening tomorrow. Are you guys nervous? Because I'm nervous. What if they don't like us? What if we're not as good as them? What if we fail? Oh my god, we're so screwed!

I hand my coffee to Jackson then grab April by her shoulders.

Savannah: April, calm down. I love you, but I don't have enough caffeine in me to deal with you freaking out. You don't need to be freaking out. We're just going to a new hospital with new people. We're going to be just fine.

Jackson: Savvy's right, April.

Jackson gave me my coffee back then wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

Reed: you know, I'm gonna miss this place.

April: me too.

Jackson chuckles at April and Reed.

Jackson: what is there to miss? The crappy coffee? The slow machines?

Savannah: oh, come on! This may not be the best teaching hospital, but we became friends here, and we learned so much here. It's gonna be weird not coming here every day.

Reed: Savvy's got a point.

Charles: I don't want to go to Seattle Grace. Why couldn't they come here?

Savannah: we need the experience, Charlie. But, plus side, at least we're all together.

April: I agree with Savvy.

Reed: same.

Savannah: now, come on. Let's savour our last day here while we can.

I walk out of the locker room with Jackson right next to me, with his arm still wrapped around me.

Jackson: you nervous about the merger?

Savannah: a little, but there's nothing we can do about it. All we can do is do our best and be the doctors we were trained to be.

Jackson smiles at me.

Jackson: oh, how I love your optimism.

Savannah: it's my best trait. Along with everything else, because, well, I'm awesome.

Jackson chuckles at me as we go on with our day.

-later-

I'm sitting at lunch with the gang when I get a call from Natalie.

Me- hey, sweetie.
Natalie- hey, mom. How's work?
Me- good. I'm just having lunch with Jackson and the others.
Natalie- tell them I say hi.

Savannah: Natalie says hi, you guys.

Group: hi, Nat!

Me- how's school going, baby?
Natalie- boring. Can I ditch Bio? I don't want to go.
Me- no, baby, you're not allowed to ditch school. You need an education.
Natalie- oh well, I tried.

I chuckle at my daughter. Suddenly, I hear my pager go off. Everyone's pager goes off.

Me- listen, baby, I gotta go. We were just paged to the ER. I'll see you tonight. I love you.

I end the call and we all run to the ER.

-later-

And just like that... the day was over. I was grabbing the last few items from my locker, and I see Jackson appear next to me.

Jackson: hey, you.

Savannah: hey, Jacks.

Jackson: we hanging out tonight?

Savannah: sure. My place?

Jackson: of course.

I chuckle at my best friend as he wraps his arm around me and we walk out of the hospital and drive to my place. When we walk in, I see Natalie on the couch watching a movie.

Savannah: hey, sweetie.

Natalie: hey, momma. Oh, hey, Jacks.

Jackson: hey, kiddo. How was school?

Natalie: lame, like always. How was work?

Savannah: lame, like always.

Natalie chuckles at me as I jump on the couch and snuggle next to her.

Jackson: what're we watching?

Natalie: Dirty Dancing.

Savannah: ooh, my favourite!

Jackson sits next to me and placed my head on his shoulder.

Natalie: tomorrow's the merger, right?

Savannah: yep.

Natalie: you guys nervous?

Savannah: a little.

Natalie: you've got nothing to be nervous about, mom. You're a great surgeon, you just have to show them how good you are.

Jackson: your daughter is right.

Natalie: like always.

I chuckle as Jackson and Natalie share a high five. I spend the rest of the night hanging out with my two favourite people ever.