Ten

Valentine's Day. The day of love. While all the couples in the world are celebrating their love, I'm sitting in my apartment with April and Reed having a girls night.

Savannah: it seems like only yesterday when Natalie hated the idea of boys. And now, she's going on a date with a boy! God, I feel so old. My 16 year old daughter has a better love life than I do. I have to accept the fact that I'll never find love.

April: that's not true, Savvy! You'll find someone.

Savannah: come on, April. Who would want to go out with a single mom?

Reed: I'd date you. You're hot!

I chuckle at Reed then kiss her on the cheek. I hear someone walk into the apartment, and I was confused to see my daughter walk in.

Savannah: what are you doing home? You were only gone an hour.

Natalie walks over to the couch and plops down next to me. I take a look at my daughter's face and notice a sad look on her face, which concerned me.

Savannah: what happened, baby?

Reed: who do we have to kill?

Natalie: I was a bet.

The girls and I share the same shocked look.

Savannah: oh my god. Baby...

Natalie: I was coming back from the bathroom, and I overheard him talking to his friend on the phone. Turns out they made the bet last week. They bet him $100 to ask me out.

April: oh my god.

Reed: what a jerk.

Savannah: I'm so sorry, sweetie.

I pull my daughter into a hug and kiss her forehead while the girls place a comforting hand on her back.

Savannah: you didn't deserve that.

April: come here, kiddo.

April and Reed pull Natalie into a hug. I was about to text Jackson when I hear my pager go off, along with the girls' pagers.

Savannah: oooh, we've got multiple traumas, ladies. Best Valentine's Day gift ever! Let's roll.

Reed and April kiss Natalie on the forehead before they start grabbing their things.

Savannah: are you gonna be okay by yourself, sweetie?

Natalie: yeah, I'll be fine. Go save some lives.

I kiss my daughter on the forehead.

Savannah: keep your head up, kiddo. You're an amazing girl, you'll find someone soon. You just have to be patient.

Natalie: thanks, mom.

Savannah: call me if you need anything. And listen, if you want me to kill that boy, just say the word.

Natalie chuckles at me.

Natalie: love you, mom. Now, go. You have patients that need you.

I kiss my daughter one last time before I run out and drive to the hospital. When I get there, I bolt straight to the ER and grab the chart of the first patient I see.

-later-

I'm standing with Meredith as we work on our patient from the restaurant collapse, while Alex was tending to his patient next to us.

Emile: can she have some water, please?

Meredith: I'm afraid she can't.

Mrs. Banks: Emile, stop. My husband and I have been going to Grandinetti's for 15 years, every Friday night.