Seventy One

I'm at the hospital with Jackson since we get breakfast together every morning. I look up and notice mom walking with Webber.

Savannah: hi, mom.

Jackson: how was breakfast?

Jackson gives mom a hug, then I give her one shortly after.

Mom: informative. And based on how Savannah is dressed, which is lovely, by the way, then it's true. It's time for you to come to Boston.

Jackson and I share a look, then Jackson looks at Webber.

Jackson: what have you done?

Webber: okay, now just wait a second.

Mom: I've seen the kind of garbage that goes on in a Pegasus hospital. If your options are either working for them or this hospital shutting down altogether—

Webber: Catherine. Okay, this hospital is not shutting down. In uncertain times, men like Jackson and myself have to stand tall. We can't pack up and flee at the first sign of trouble. A man who does not bend to the winds of change is a man that you can be proud of.

Mom: that's poetic.

I let out a deep breath, causing Jackson to wrap his arm around my waist.

Savannah: well, this was a nice little chat. And as much as I would love to stay and chat some more, I have a meeting to get to. Excuse me.

I step forward to leave, but mom stops me.

Mom: sweetie, he didn't mean you. Richard told me about your situation, and I think you did the right thing. And if things don't work out here, you have a spot in Boston. And there's a full scholarship at the university of Boston for Natalie.

Savannah: thanks, mom, but I really should go. See you later, baby. I love you.

I kiss Jackson then I rush off to my meeting with the others.

-later-

I'm sitting next to Derek while we discuss our plan.

Arizona: okay, so this time, I'll do the Peds stuff first. Then Savannah can do trauma.

Derek: then Savannah and I will go into the neuro.

Callie: okay, can somebody else do the closing? I-I was awful last time we practiced.

Arizona: no, you were fine.

Callie: we really want to end on my flop sweats?

Savannah: Derek can do the closing.

I notice a secretary come up to us.

Secretary: I'm sorry. It should be just a few more minutes. Can I get you any water or coffee?

Everyone but Cristina and I say they're fine.

Cristina: coffee. And a bagel or something.

Savannah: orange juice, in a bottle. And a bagel with cream cheese, strawberry jam and honey.

Everyone looks at Cristina and I.

Cristina: I'm starving. This meeting was supposed to start half an hour ago.

Savannah: and I'm pregnant. Mama's gotta eat.

Callie: okay, he's a billionaire. One of his minutes is worth 40 of ours.

Arizona: I can't believe we got this meeting in the first place.

Derek: yeah, nice job, Stan.

Stan: I really believe Julian Crest is our guy. He made all his money in late-stage internet mobile. Medical tech is the one area he doesn't have a foothold. Your focus on applied research, it's right up his alley.