104

After getting the news, Jackson and I walk out of the room to give April and Jeremy some space.

Savannah: they don't deserve this.

Jackson: I know they don't.

I let out a shaky breath as I look at my two best friends.

Savannah: they deserve to be amazing parents.

Jackson: I know.

Jackson pulls me into a hug and kisses my forehead.

-later-

I've been in the ER for a couple hours to distract myself from the sad news, and I find April and Jeremy in the same room. I walk in, and I kneel in front of April who was crying in Jeremy's arms.

Savannah: April, look at me, baby.

April looks down at me.

April: there's no way, no way for me to do what I need to do and what I-I believe that I should do.

Savannah: shh, shh, shh. There is a way, sweetheart. There's always a way. Now, this is what you're gonna do. You will choose a day. Soon. Set it aside and arrange to be induced. And you'll give birth to your beautiful little boy. And you'll give him a name and have him baptized right then and there. Then you're gonna get to hold that baby. And you'll pray for him and sing to him. You're gonna look at him. You're gonna look at him and memorize every little detail of his face. And you will do that as long as he lives. You will do that until God takes him. That's what you will do. And I will be right by your side, honey. Jackson and I will be there for you both because you guys are our family and we love you so much.

Jeremy: we can do that.

April looks up at Jeremy.

April: can you do that for me?

Jeremy: oh, of course I'll do that for you. I'll do that for you and him and us.

April: okay.

Jeremy: okay?

April: okay. So, I'll just... I'll just hold him until God takes him.

Savannah: that sounds lovely.

I take April's hands in mine as tears well up in my eyes. Then, I see a semi-hopeful look come up on April's face.

April: maybe God won't take him. Maybe– maybe there will be a miracle. I'll just pray for a miracle.

I let out a shaky breath as April cries in Jeremy's arms. I decided to step out of the room before I cry in front of my best friend. As I walk out, Jackson comes around.

Jackson: hey.

Savannah: hey.

Jackson sees Jeremy and April in the room.

Jackson: I thought they went home.

Savannah: apparently they needed to talk more.

Jackson: what's their plan?

Savannah: they're setting a day aside to induce. No matter what, we're taking that day off and we're gonna be there for them. We have to, 'cause that's our family in there.

Jackson: of course, sweetheart.

Jackson pulls me into a hug and kisses my forehead.

-later-

Jackson and I are in April's OB suite getting her admitted, and my pager kept buzzing.

April: Sav, you should go. They clearly need you.