Seventy Two

I'm sitting in a board room waiting for Jackson while reading over the protocols the foundation sent us, while the others complain.

Arizona: Jackson Avery really has a bigger say than any of us in running this hospital?

Cristina: that can't be true. Can it, Sav?

Derek: well, he's a voting member of the management team and he also represents the Harper Avery Foundation with Savvy.

Callie: and their $175 million bucks.

Arizona: as opposed to our $15 million a piece. Wait, doesn't Savannah technically have more of a say than any of us?

Savannah: guys, Jackson and I have been in board meetings since we were 15. Along with that, I have some experience running this hospital. Let's just calm down.

Derek: according to Stan, not only do you two have the deciding vote, you can veto ours.

Cristina: that is ridiculous. You guys are fellows.

Savannah: so are you.

Cristina: but he's a Plastics fellow. And you're—

Savannah: don't you dare go there, Yang. You don't get to sit there and insult his specialty because you can't do it. And don't you dare turn your back on me! You really think I asked for this? You think Jackson asked for this? No. So be quiet!

Meredith: okay, let's not overreact. I mean, it's Jackson and Sav. They aren't some corporate strangers. They're one of us.

Derek: no, you're right. They're both smart kids. They will follow our lead.

Callie: no. No. We made this plan. We pulled it together. Look, I'm grateful to Harper Avery for an infusion of cash, but I'm– I'm not gonna let some– some...

Cristina: Plastics fellow?

Callie: Plastics fellow tell me—

Savannah: I suggest you stop right there, Torres, or else I'm gonna sucker punch you in the throat. You remember Mark– the father of your child. I don't know if you forgot, but he was a Plastic surgeon. Don't you dare talk shit about Jackson because you think you're better than him. 'Cause newsflash, but you belong in this group just as much as Jackson does. So shut the hell up and let's wait for Jackson to get here. And when he does get here, we are going to listen to him.

The room goes silent and I sit down and continue reading the protocols. A minute later, Jackson comes into the room with donuts.

Jackson: I'm sorry, guys. I was running on time, and then my last round's patient turned into a crier. Pow.

Jackson opens the box of donuts then kisses my cheek. I take a few as Jackson sits down next to me.

Meredith: uh, we were discussing the reopening of the ER and the trauma department.

Jackson and I share a look.

Jackson: oh, yes. Um, we're not ready for that just yet.

Derek: if you two need more time with the material, we can go ahead—

Jackson: no, no, we– we've read it. It's just that the Foundation feels like the ER is not a forgone conclusion. They need a site visit, a chance to look over the numbers. It could be a month before a decision.

Arizona: okay. The Foundation knows we plan on getting our level one trauma designation back, right?

Savannah: yes. They know that's the idea. I've had a couple of discussions with them regarding that.

Cristina: I think we should table this until we can bring in Owen. Uh, he'll have a lot of thoughts on this too.

Jackson and I share a look.